Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster With Lining For IDPA/USPSA?

PEC-Memphis

Does anyone have a suggestion for a IDPA, or L10/SS, holster that is easy on the finish of a blued gun.

Maybe a kydex with a protective lining, or other holster material is a reasonable alternative to hard chrome finishing?

I just acquired a blue STI with about 99% finish, and would like to keep finish wear to a minimum.

The original DAA PDR is the only mainstream one that I have seen.

It wouldn't be legal for IDPA in dropped, offset configuration. Not sure if it can be hung higher/closer.

Edited by alma

STI doesn't have the strongest of finishes that I have had or seen. Safariland has a swead (sp?) lined holster. Problem is, unless you have a sheepskin lined holster, all of them are going to cause wear of some sort.

If you are looking to refinish the gun at some point, there are some very hard/durable finishes out there. Hard Hat treatment is one, Ion Bond another. IF you are looking to compete, you are going to get wear no matter what.

My vote is if you want to keep the gun looking nice, don't shoot competition with it. All the draws, table starts, reloads, rounds, and whapping into barriers we do kinda lends to that good, worn look. Add it to 3 gun and start throwing the gun, well there it goes.

But refinishing is cheap and worn blue is sexier than new dura coat could ever be

The original DAA PDR is the only mainstream one that I have seen.

It wouldn't be legal for IDPA in dropped, offset configuration. Not sure if it can be hung higher/closer.

The belt ride version might be IDPA legal (I don't know the IDPA rules very well). The belt ride is also required for shooting SS, thanks to the "front strap must be above the top of the belt" rule.

• 9 months later...

+1 on the Wilson Tactical holster - very good quality. I needed to transition my draw stroke since SS rides higher than my Limited setup when I jump between divisions. Also, I've found that while the felt liner is good for protecting the finish, unless you get a straight draw the felt liner tends to add friction and slow down the draw. There's always a trade off. For me, I've been trying to keep my 1911 closer to "safe queen" status (my Limited division scores make me feel better about myself!), so protecting the finish is a high priority.

My vote is if you want to keep the gun looking nice, don't shoot competition with it. All the draws, table starts, reloads, rounds, and whapping into barriers we do kinda lends to that good, worn look. Add it to 3 gun and start throwing the gun, well there it goes.

This!

If you are anywhere near dirt or sand it will eventually embed in any lining material which will accelerate wear. Once in the lining it will be a bear to clean out. Consider plain kydex but before every range session use an Armor All wipe to clean it out.

Better yet, send that gun out and get it Melonite finish – in the long run a better solution.