Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge40 SW

Tubguy

Hi Shooters!

I'm shooting limited. I still have the recoil master in the gun

I have read where shooters are changing the recoil spring to match their ammo.

I'm shooting major.

I'm looking for input as what I might consider doing.

Thanks

A full length guide rod made by STI/EGW/Dawson/Caspian/etc., will all work great. I use/have used all of them and didn't have any issues with any of them.

I'm pretty sure that you can use the existing reverse plug that you have so all you would need is the spring and the guide rod.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a STI eagle in 40 major for USPSA and use a 12 pound variable recoil spring from Wolff. I also shoot the same gun in IDPA with 40 minor loaded to 135PF and use an 11 pound spring. With my gun, load, and personal feel of the recoil and tracking the sights, those are the weights of springs I prefer.

I'm no gunsmith, but a lot of what everyone's saying is true for what their guns run. Recoil springs run about $7, so get a whole slew of different weights and try for yourself. Your main (hammer) spring weight will also be an important piece of the puzzle as that affects lockup time. Other things to consider--has your slide been lightened? What powder/load are you using? What viscosity oil do you use (Slide Glide)? And finally, which one just feels best for the way you shoot?

I'll never understand why all the recoil master haters. I ran one for 20k of 40 major, it was flat shooting, and performed flawlessly.

I get the bennies to a conventional setup, it is what I run now. But I don't think it has to be done right away.

• 3 weeks later...

get the dawson tooless guide rod. check it out on u tube. match it with a 12-14# spring and you should be GTG

+1. I used the existing reverse plug and I have a full length tungsten guide rod. However, I would go with a stainless steel one going forward. I am using a 12.5 lb spring with no issues.

You have some options for guide rods. I would get a one piece vs two piece flgr. Stainless vs tungsten if you want more weight out front. 12-14# springs should get the right feel.

I would agree with the one piece. I have a two piece and it is kind of a pia if you ask me. But, I haven't put anything in it to hold it together either, so....I guess that is just me being lazy. :surprise:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll never understand why all the recoil master haters. I ran one for 20k of 40 major, it was flat shooting, and performed flawlessly.

I get the bennies to a conventional setup, it is what I run now. But I don't think it has to be done right away.

Not a hater of recoil master, but after shooting a guide rod gun you can definitely feel the difference of the recoil master. It feels like a two stage process during cycling instead of one continuous motion. I also want to tailor my my recoil to a particular load which the limited spring selection for the RM didn't do well.