Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on re-barreling a 686-4

Gillster

I bought this revolver, set up just like this back in the early 90's from a friend who was leaving the sport. It is a 7 shot, machined for moon clips. I used it for steel shoots for several years until I switched to a 627. It has sat, un-used in the safe for at least 5 years. I took it out the other day and just can't believe how heavy it feels. The action is really smooth and it is the only revolver I have that my 13 year old daughter can smoothly fire double action, but again, she can only hold it steady for a few shots. Just about every thread on line asking about re-barreling a revolver ends with advice amounting to sell it and buy the one you want, it will be cheaper. However, as much as I like this gun, I dont see it as being "marketable". So the advice I am looking for is how to drop weight from this beast? New barrel? Have 3" lopped of this one and have it recrowned? It would be nice to have my daughter start shooting it regularly with her brother and I so any advice appreciated. Also, any one have a good revolver smith in the San Antonio area? Thanks for your time.

Chris

post-2252-0-09131000-1392260925_thumb.jp

I would keep the gun, make it a 4" barrel, put a light weight red dot on it and go. If you want it lighter yet, you can have the barrel turned down to 7/8" or 3/4" diameter. If done correctly it will still be accurate. If it has a lot of miles on it you may want to have them set the barrel back a turn and recut the forcing cone while it's off the gun.

Any machine shop could put it upside down in a mill and remove material from the bottom of the barrel from the muzzle back toward the ejector, this would reduce weight and make it sit in the hand better, and you would not have to remove the barrel. If that did not work then you could start cutting off the length of the barrel.