Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for Glock 35 w/ KKM 9mm Conversion?

bluedevil008

I am running a Glock 35 with KKM 40-9 conversion barrel. I am wondering if anyone has any metrics on a good OAL for my loads.

I am just now getting into reloading 9mm, and don't have much research on this. I was wondering if the chamber/feed ramp on a conversion barrel favors a shorter or longer OAL than the standard factory barrel with factory rounds.

I have been using factory reloads so far and unfortunately don't know the OAL on those.

My 9mm KKM conversion barrel had a very short throat. I had to load 125 HAP's to less than 1.07 when I wanted to load them to my normal 1.12 -1.13. I got a Manson throating reamer and lengthened the throat. You might check yours before you load a bunch of conical type bullets.

When I started reloading I did not know what the limits on OAL were. Obviously I knew the 9mm Luger spec is 1.169 inches maximum, but in order to know what was in actual use I measured several brands of common, commercial range ammo. All were in the tolerance range of 1.150 OAL. I have never used a KKM or other aftermarket barrel in my Glocks, but I find it hard to believe that anyone manufactures a barrel that will not accept common commercial ammo or fails to accept the specified Luger spec length at 1.169. How many warning statements would that require? I'm not saying it is not true...I just wonder how anyone could pull that off without a book of warnings. Being an engineer I fail to see how someone could make a barrel and advertise it as for use with 9mm Luger ammunition and not accommodate the industry standard length spec.

I started reloading using the OAL stated in the reloading manuals for my powder and bullet and in most cases those are pretty short versus 1.150 or especially 1.169. Lately I have changed to using 1.125 as a standard OAL being sure to avoid any compressed loads with my choice of materials (none have approached that to date). However, in some load data (see Hornady for example), the OAL's for some powders are listed as 1.169. Are you saying those will not load in a KKM or any other aftermarket barrel? I see no such warning statement in the data book and I sure would expect to see something in writing.

I'm not being informative, just inquisitive. Could someone who knows the actual facts enlighten me please.

Well first shot at loading was pretty awful. I am using a Lee Classic single stage. I had loads with OALs ranging from 1.05 to 1.15!!! Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I don't know how much the powder can make a difference, but my charges were pretty inconsistent. I haven't shot any loaded ammo, we will see after this weekend.

FYI, all my reloading before was done on a dillon 550 with all the measurements set up for me haha.