Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trail Boss in 40

5hakey

I'm posting this just in case anyone else has looked at their dwindling supply of Clays, their large supply of Trail Boss, and wondered "Can I make 40 minor with Trail Boss?" I know someone who tried TB in 40 and reported no negative effects, but did not have chrono data. So, I did some weighing and measuring to determine that 3.2-3.3gn of TB is the max no compression load for my brass/bullet/OAL. I loaded one batch slightly under the no compression limit, one batch slightly over, and tested it for speed and function in a Production legal Glock 35.

Please keep in mind that this data is for informational purposes only and should not be used by anyone for anything. Seriously. Do not use this.

(Glock 35, 180gn Xtreme RNFP, 1.135 OAL, 58 deg, 10 shots over chronograph at 20')

3.0gn TB - 602 fps (SD 18, ES 52, PF 108) 11lb recoil spring will not reliably cycle.

3.5gn TB - 661 fps (SD 23, ES 52, PF 119) 11lb recoil spring works, 13lb not reliable.

The ES and SD were large, neither made minor, and I'm not willing to go higher. For comparison, my usual load is 3.0gn of Clays with a 180 and it tested at 737 fps (133PF) with a SD of 9 and ES of 29.

I'm going to keep the TB for CAS and look for a new minor load when I run out of Clays.

-5hakey

ZackJones - Thanks. I waste my time so you don't have to. :-)

thermobollocks - I thought about that. A smaller bullet would take less space, but needs more powder to reach the same velocity. I don't think you can solve the problem that way, at least not with Glock mag length restrictions.

• 5 years later...
On 2/13/2014 at 3:33 AM, 5hakey said:

Please keep in mind that this data is for informational purposes only and should not be used by anyone for anything. Seriously. Do not use this.

(Glock 35, 180gn Xtreme RNFP, 1.135 OAL, 58 deg, 10 shots over chronograph at 20')

3.0gn TB - 602 fps (SD 18, ES 52, PF 108) 11lb recoil spring will not reliably cycle.

3.5gn TB - 661 fps (SD 23, ES 52, PF 119) 11lb recoil spring works, 13lb not reliable.

The ES and SD were large, neither made minor, and I'm not willing to go higher.

-5hakey

Many thanks, this is really helpful... 

On 2/14/2014 at 8:44 PM, thermobollocks said:

Comedy option: Buy a S&W 610

No joke, I have one on the way to use as a range toy, and I'm looking for light "target" loads...

I already have a couple Glock 23s, four G22s, and a G35, hence the .40-compatible revolver.

• 5 months later...

Update.  My 6-1/2" S&W 610 arrived. 

I loaded up some 155gr lead SWCs with 3.0gr of Trail Boss, following Shakey's lead, and because that seemed to fill the case under the bullet. 

They work well.  Over eighteen rounds (three cylinders), MVs were 622-742fps, and each cylinder's SD was 12, 29, or 36. 

Recoil was easy — like shooting a compact .22lr pistol. 

Accuracy seemed fine, though it was hard to tell shooting at a chewed up target through my chrono.  (I'll do accuracy testing at 25yds next week.)

I tried five rounds in my G24 with a 13lbs spring, and each fired, but none ejected...  Not enough oomph.  They averaged 638fps, SD was 20. 

I was tempted to try them in my G23 (lighter slide, right?), but that seems hopeless. 

I have successfully loaded .40 S&W with TB and Bear Creek 180 TC coated lead.  Surprisingly it operated my Glock 23 (gen 3), M&P Shield, and my M&P Pro 5".

I'll see if I can dig up the load data tonight.  I think I even have some chrono numbers too.  I seem to recall it being very low SD/ED.

Okay, found my decade old notes.  My results are different from Shakey's as I was using a different bullet (180 gr Bear Creek poly/moly coated lead TC).  Load is reliable in all three guns.  Soft shooting with SD between 7 and 18 depending on batch/firearm.

3.1 gr TB w/ 180gr coated lead TC @ 1.45" oal

Glock 23 (Gen 3, polygonal) - 700 fps - 126 PF

M&P Pro 5" - 730 fps - 131 PF

M&P Shield - unknown velocity.

For the revolver shooters out there I'll tell you I also tested lower loads in the G23 but they weren't reliable at cycling the action, not that you care. 

2.8 gr TB w/ 180 gr BC TC @ 1.150" - 631 fps

2.6 gr TB w/ 180 gr BC TC @ 1.160" - 601 fps

2.3 gr TB w/ 180 gr BC TC @ 1.160" - 546 fps

Also I found it works just fine in .38 SPL and not at all in 9mm Luger (semiautos).

• 3 months later...

I've been playing more with this... 

With 11lbs recoil springs, 3.0gr Trail Boss under a 155gr SWC runs perfectly in my Glock 23.

It's almost perfect in my Glock 22s...  I get the occasional stovepipe (@ 675fps).

It's still non-functional in my G24, even with an 11lbs spring (@ 700fps). 

I tried a 170gr SWC with 3.0gr of Trail Boss, and it works fine in the G22s (@700fps), but still isn't quite enough oomph for the G24's heavier slide (@722fps). 

Given that you guys are running bigger bullets and a bit more powder, I might try that, too.