Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zeroing Offset Irons

DDustin

I just got a set of KAC offset iron sights. How exactly do you zero these and at what position. Typically I zero while prone with sandbags on the back and the front. Given that these need the gun to be tilted, how do most go about doing it?

Sandbags? Just tilt the gun on the bags.

This. ^^^^

It's just like I do for my offset mini red dot in Open. I happen to zero to 25 yards, also. Why? It's a reasonable distance, but mostly because that's the length of the indoor range I can frequent. :)

I sighted mine in at 50yds, even though I never expect to shoot them farther than 20–25yds. Partly it was to get a better feel for how inherently accurate the sights were, and partly because I was lazy and was set up at 50yds already to verify scope zero. Also, if I am using those sights, I am not making a gnat's ass precision shot, so being a little low doesn't bother me—I'd rather that than to shoot high if I for some reason end up using them for a farther target than I originally planned.

I don't know why, maybe it's my body mechanics. But getting the rifle stable while prone and tilted is seeming to be difficult. I won't be doing it outside of my basement till Sunday so maybe it'll be better in the field. For distance I think I'm going to go with the old school Army 25m zeroing targets. I plan on only really using these at damn near point and shoot distances where I've got a couple hoser targets and the some 50 and 100 yard targets. It's a shame though given the quality of these things. It seems weird that KAC used their 600m sights for the offset sights. It makes it hard not try and push them.

I was wondering while messing with them. Do most people rotate the rifle in their shoulder, causing it to move out of the pocket and rest more on the shoulder itself? Or just rotate the shoulder basically moving the pocket and the rifle? I noticed if I lift up my arm and chicken wing it while the rifle is seated, it rotates it.

I have sighted my off-set iron in at both 25 & 50 Yards. I prefer mine to be zeroed at 50Yds.

Here is data from my rifle...

Zero at 25 yards it shoots -2"@10yds, 0"@25yds, +2.5"@50yds, and +3.75"@75yds

Zero at 50 yards it shoots -2"@10yds, -1.5"@25yds, 0"@50yds, and +1.0"@75yds

As for rotating the rifle, I just rotate my elbow out. Never losing my cheek weld or seating. I find this is the fastest transition.

I generally zero my offset red dot from a reverse kneel while resting on a barricade/barrel or anything stable that is handy.

As far as rolling the rifle for the sights. I keep the elbow roughly in the same position and roll the wrist slightly. It allows for rapid transition without any unneeded movement of throwing out the chicken wing. Practice several techniques and use whichever you are most comfortable with.

I have sighted my off-set iron in at both 25 & 50 Yards. I prefer mine to be zeroed at 50Yds.

Here is data from my rifle...

Zero at 25 yards it shoots -2"@10yds, 0"@25yds, +2.5"@50yds, and +3.75"@75yds

Zero at 50 yards it shoots -2"@10yds, -1.5"@25yds, 0"@50yds, and +1.0"@75yds

As for rotating the rifle, I just rotate my elbow out. Never losing my cheek weld or seating. I find this is the fastest transition.

That's my typical iron sight zero but how often do you shoot offset irons past 25yrds? It seems like if you never shoot past that distance, 25yrds would give you the least amount of adjustment. Since this is my first crack at offsets it's possible that I'm wrong about their employment.

I prefer being zeroed at 50yds because when it is necessary for me to quickly transition from close (10yd to 20yd) targets to far (30yd to 50yd) targets I know my far sights are dialed in. I do not need the close sights as dialed when shooting close, but do more so when shooting far with the irons. I do not make it a practice to shoot 50yds with the irons. However, plenty of times I have run a stage that it makes better sense to stay locked in on the irons the adjust to the optics. But that is just my style, you will build your own soon enough.

You should try them both and see what works for you.