Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RFC: Open Squadding Support in PractiScore

Ken N.

Just the slow experience I have with the Nooks. Haven't tried Quicksync yet :)

I don't want to derail this thread, but I am really interested how long does it take your Nooks to sync. Have you measured it or compared with other devices? Also, what version of the PractiScore app?

I don't want to derail this thread, but I am really interested how long does it take your Nooks to sync. Have you measured it or compared with other devices? Also, what version of the PractiScore app?

For us, if you enter the sync code of the iPad, the NOOKs sync under 2 seconds. Now, if you let them search for the master device, it can take them a while to discover the other devices. We don't bother with that, and in fact, our DHCP servers are set up to assign sync codes (IP addresses) by MAC address. So when we have 12 devices, the stage 1 device is 0101, the stage 9 device is 0109, the stage 10 device is 0110 (that way you don't have shift in and out of alpha mode to enter letters). Our iPads (masters) are configured to come up at predictable addresses also, so 0180 is my iPad, 0181 is Bilal's, etc.

Edited by jcwren

We can discuss in email...probably better not to derail this thread for Ken.

For us, if you enter the sync code of the iPad, the NOOKs sync under 2 seconds. Now, if you let them search for the master device, it can take them a while to discover the other devices. We don't bother with that, and in fact, our DHCP servers are set up to assign sync codes (IP addresses) by MAC address. So when we have 12 devices, the stage 1 device is 0101, the stage 9 device is 0109, the stage 10 device is 0110 (that way you don't have shift in and out of alpha mode to enter letters). Our iPads (masters) are configured to come up at predictable addresses also, so 0180 is my iPad, 0181 is Bilal's, etc.

I also use DHCP, but another system on our range does not. We run 2 systems of Practiscore and 1 cowboy program at our range.

For us, if you enter the sync code of the iPad, the NOOKs sync under 2 seconds. Now, if you let them search for the master device, it can take them a while to discover the other devices...

Are you still running like an ancient version of PS onbyour Nooks? How long is "a while" there? Have you yried it with something more recent?

For us, if you enter the sync code of the iPad, the NOOKs sync under 2 seconds. Now, if you let them search for the master device, it can take them a while to discover the other devices...

Are you still running like an ancient version of PS onbyour Nooks? How long is "a while" there? Have you yried it with something more recent?

If "ancient" == 1.2.12, then yes, it's ancient. It's fast enough on my phone (Galaxy S4), but a NOOK will never keep pace with an S4 :)

When we close registration and get ready to sync from the master, I do it production line style. We lay out 8 NOOKs side by side, and literally go across each one and tap the Practiscore icon. Then go across each one and tap Sync, repeat for Sync With Other Devices, repeat for tapping the Sync With Other Devices field, repeat for the '123' button on the keypad to get the numbers, repeat for tapping in the sync code and tapping Sync, repeat for Accept, repeat for tapping the 'Back' icon, repeat again, repeat again, repeat for touch 'Enter Scores', repeat for tapping each the stage that each device is going to. And I'm done. This style works nicely because I don't have to wait for screen updates before changing, and it's more error proof since all the NOOKs should look identical as I run across them.

I can sync 8 NOOKs in 30 to 40 seconds.

If "ancient" == 1.2.12, then yes, it's ancient. It's fast enough on my phone (Galaxy S4), but a NOOK will never keep pace with an S4 :)

When we close registration and get ready to sync from the master, I do it production line style. We lay out 8 NOOKs side by side, and literally go across each one and tap the Practiscore icon. Then go across each one and tap Sync, repeat for Sync With Other Devices, repeat for tapping the Sync With Other Devices field, repeat for the '123' button on the keypad to get the numbers, repeat for tapping in the sync code and tapping Sync, repeat for Accept, repeat for tapping the 'Back' icon, repeat again, repeat again, repeat for touch 'Enter Scores', repeat for tapping each the stage that each device is going to. And I'm done. This style works nicely because I don't have to wait for screen updates before changing, and it's more error proof since all the NOOKs should look identical as I run across them.

JC...you must be a master class because mine don't sync that fast...maybe I need more classifiers. ;)

I doubt your S4 will find master on your network setup much faster if you assign it the same ip addresses as your nooks. You managed to put master far enough from the nook in ip range to miss the first batch of 100 scanned ip addresses. The next batch normally kicks off in about 20 sec, due to socket timeouts to make reliable connection to the idle devices.

If you put your masters within 32 addresses before nooks or within 68 addresses after, you'll see them in the scan results before you get to taping the sync codes.

I doubt your S4 will find master on your network setup much faster if you assign it the same ip addresses as your nooks. You managed to put master far enough from the nook in ip range to miss the first batch of 100 scanned ip addresses. The next batch normally kicks off in about 20 sec, due to socket timeouts to make reliable connection to the idle devices.

If you put your masters within 32 addresses before nooks or within 68 addresses after, you'll see them in the scan results before you get to taping the sync codes.

That very well may be the case. I believe our iPads come up at 0180 (192.168.1.128), while the NOOKs come up at 0101..0110 (192.168.1.1 .. 192.168.1.16).

Why within 68 after? That's a curious number.

Ah... this explains the dilemma I hit helping a club last night... their Nooks were being assigned numbers pretty far apart by the DHCP.

Fortunately, synch codes did the trick, which is why they are there.

I will have to check if we can assign specific IP's per network on the device side. I suppose the DHCP server can do that per Mac address, if Nooks expose them somewhere.

In this case, it was synching fine at the range, but not fine at the home network.

Ken N.

Ah... this explains the dilemma I hit helping a club last night... their Nooks were being assigned numbers pretty far apart by the DHCP.

Fortunately, synch codes did the trick, which is why they are there.

I will have to check if we can assign specific IP's per network on the device side. I suppose the DHCP server can do that per Mac address, if Nooks expose them somewhere.

In this case, it was synching fine at the range, but not fine at the home network.

Ken N.

They do. Go to Settings->About Your Nook, and it shows the MAC address. They all start with 58:67:1a

That very well may be the case. I believe our iPads come up at 0180 (192.168.1.128), while the NOOKs come up at 0101..0110 (192.168.1.1 .. 192.168.1.16).

Why within 68 after? That's a curious number.

А 100 - 32 = 68. The scan starts from device ip address - 32. But it probably make sense to make it symmetric, so both master and other devices will be in the same batch within 50 ips from each other.

I tried larger batches up to 255 ips, but that creates a lot of stuff that need to be released when you leave sync screen and it is too noticeable on the nooks. 100 seem to work well if ips are within close proximity.

I do the exact same thing, much easier to batch it.

Well that would explain why the devices come up so quickly when I'm using the one router were I assign each device a static IP address based on MAC address and why they are slower to show up using the other router were the IP addresses are assigned randomly. I'll be correcting that.

Edited by jdphotoguy

• 3 weeks later...

While waiting for the Open Squadding support, we are currently using index cards as "shooter cards" to determine shooting order. The shooter comes up to a stage and gives the shooter card to a person with a clipboard who puts it on the bottom of the stack. The card deck is then used to call the shooter, the on-deck and the workers. When the shooter is up, the top card is given to the PractiScore tablet person who uses it to look up their name (finding only by last name is a pain, we really need to sort by first name) and scores the shooter. At the end, the review is done and the card is returned. Works well.

Anyway, we were discussing how this process would work using a shooting order screen within PS. The concern is that the PS person will have to move between the scoring screen and the shooting order screen as new shooters come up. That interruption may be significant and further impact his role as an RO whose first priority is the shooter.

The only way I can think of is to train everyone to ONLY approach the PS to get in the shooting order between the review time and the start of the next shooter. This could be a problem without dedicated ROs who have a good handle on the various steps to maintain the shooting order, the scoring, an their PRIMARY job of being the second RO on the stage.

The low tech index shooting cards seem to be winning this discussion.

Edited by pcarst

We still use paper backup scoresheets that the shooters carry from stage to stage. Just like it used to be in an ezws paper match, the squads use these to maintain their shooting order as well as write down scores for backup. They understand it, they're used to it from years of experience, and it encourages them to create the paper backups, as they already have the clipboard in their hands.

We still use paper backup scoresheets that the shooters carry from stage to stage. Just like it used to be in an ezws paper match, the squads use these to maintain their shooting order as well as write down scores for backup. They understand it, they're used to it from years of experience, and it encourages them to create the paper backups, as they already have the clipboard in their hands.

Something we used at the AL sectional match was a paper version of the PractiScore review screen. I will take a picture of one and post it later but the idea is you have a piece of paper where you record all of the A/B/C/D/NS/M hits along with procedurals, time, hit factor, etc. as well as the spot for RO and shooter's initials and time of day. The RO kept the original and you got the carbon. It worked extremely well from an RO and shooter's perspective. After scoring the stage I'd call out the values to my wife who logged them on the paper summary. As a shooter we gave all of our sheets to my wife and she turned them into the RO in shooting order. You guys may be already using something similar but I thought I'd point it out.