Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA multi-gun

3djedi

With pistol, is there a 9mm min requirement or something else?. I'm a little confused as I thought you could use a 9mm. However, I just read something on the net that says .40 is required. Is it like USPSA limited where .40 is major and 9mm would score minor? Thanks

ps I think it also said there is no minimum caliber for rifle so .22LR would be legal?

The minimum calibers are usually 9mm and 5.45x39 OR .223/5.56.

Except for USPSA MG (which I've never done so I'm no expert) none of the matches give a benefit to shooting major PF ammo so lots and lots of people run 9mm. Personally I just run my .40 Limited gun and download it to about 135pf.

Edited by waktasz

Its been a few years since I shot a USPSA MG match, but from what I recall the rulebook gives the match organizers the choice of running the match using comstock scoring or Time Plus. Under comstock scoring the minimum caliber for major is .40 for Limited and Tactical. So that might be what you read.

However if the match is scored using Time Plus, other than Heavy Metal division which requires a .40 cal or larger, there is no added scoring bonus for shooting a major PF pistol, in which case 9mm is pretty popular for the lighter recoil and +2 or 3 mag capacity. Time Plus is similar to 3GN or outlaw 3-gun scoring in that it requires 1A/B or 2 hits anywhere on paper to "neutralize" the target, and steel must fall. Your score is basically the raw time plus any penalties (ie miss, FTN, procedural etc...). I want to say the last few MG Nats have been run using Time Plus and more and more USPSA affiliated MG matches are run using Time Plus over Comstock since it has many similarities to 3GN and outlaw 3-gun matches. I've actually never shot a USPSA MG using comstock... but I've only been shooting 3-gun/MG since 2010.

Yes, USPSA MG can run HF or Time-Plus. However, there are still divisions and minimum calibers. It is 9mm in most, but the two Heavy divisions use Limited 10 rules and HL further restricts the caliber to .44 or larger.

So the "minimum for major" applies to the HF scoring, but not Time-Plus scoring. The .44 Minimum in HL applies to both types.

AFAIK, only Nationals and the Noveske match run USPSA rules, and both use TIme-Plus.

Im confused now. Lol the rule book says .40 is minimum for major scoring. (This is for tactical div.)

Are you saying that most 3 gun doesn't use major/ minor scoring so there is no advantage for using a .40.

Gotcha.......Actually found a set of rules-regulations used by the club where I will be shooting 3-gun and it has nothing in it about major/minor scoring. Just says that 9mm is the minimum requirement. Thanks everybody!