Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POA/POI with fixed sights on a Shadow

Nimitz

Anyone have a Shadow with the fixed competition rear sight/Dawson 195 x .090 combo and can shoot POA/POI at 25 yds? If so, what bullet are you using?

I recently had the Dawson sight put on and today at the 24 yd plate rack I was missing every plate high. As soon as I depressed the post just slightly below the notch I hit every plate .... Seems like the gun is not shooting POA/POI at distance ....

I do not want to go to the adjustable rear sight either.

Also, I'm getting ready to switch fom 124g Xtremes to 147s and understand they tend to shoot high which if true is only going to make this issue worse ...

Any suggestions?

Fair enough ... I remember reading somewhere (it's hell getting old) how to determine proper front sight height but don't know where it is ...?

I've also heard more than one person say that you should sight in off hand vice a bench rest becuase they seem to end up different ...? Thoughts?

Fair enough ... I remember reading somewhere (it's hell getting old) how to determine proper front sight height but don't know where it is ...?

I've also heard more than one person say that you should sight in off hand vice a bench rest becuase they seem to end up different ...? Thoughts?

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT

Is that what you were looking for...

Chiming in here...

Shadow worked over by Mink, running Montana Gold 124gr with 4.25gr Titegroup.

I installed a Dawson .195" FS. It shot POA==POI at 25 yards with 124 gr 9mm.

Closer than that, I had to cover/obscure the target to "drop in" rounds.

I went back to a Dawson .175" FS that shoots POI == 2" above POA at 25 with 124gr 9mm load.

Closer, it puts rounds just at the FS.

I can live with "lollipop"ing plates at distance...

(Somewhere on Enos forum, Angus justifies this sight option/calibration...)

I wouldn't be so worried if I was currently at POA/POI with my 124s and my .195 sight but I'm already high with that combo. According to the calculations I need to add .015" in height to the .195 if I'm at 2" high at 24 yds ...

I'll make up some 147s this weekend and see where I'm at. I would like the gun to be at POA/POI for 20 yds and in and if I can't get that with POA/POI at 25 yds as well I'll probably live with the adjustment at distance ...

I have a shadow ordered from Matt Mink and when I asked about front sight height I was told if you shoot 124gr get 0175, 135gr get .180 and 147gr get .195. I shoot 124gr so they are putting .175 front sight on it. fwiw I did not ask if these heights were for POA POI at 25 yds.

They were the ones who put my current 195 on my gun ... It's also possible I just couldn't shoot straight this morning ... I will do a more controlled test this weekend to find out for sure.

I don't like adjustable sights because they can get out of alignment. Once I get my sights set I don't want to have to think about them anymore ....