Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with TS

alma

I had my TS out text firing today and when I tired to some fast splits I was getting an occasional double on the second shot. Show firing wasn't a problem. I have not do be much internal work except replacing the hammer with the competition hammer and an aluminum trigger with pretravel and over travel.

The second issue is the mags not locking back the slide. I hav to remove quite a bit of material from both the large mag well and the back of the extended basepads to get them to engage the mag release. I can our upward pressure on the bottom of the mag to get it to lock the slide back. Should I remove a bit more material from the basepads or is something else in order? I am running CZC's a recommend follower and spring kit.

The slide won't lock back with little followers.

The doubling is likely due to your pre/over travel screws being set too tight. When you hold the trigger down, work the hammer up and down, if you're rubbing on the sear at all you need more over travel.

I really appreciate your help and the advice of everyone who comes here.

While depressing the trigger and working the hammer back and forth it was just barely catching. I moved the over-travel screw not quite a quarter of a turn out and the hammer now moves freely. The doubling was pretty infrequent so hopefully this minor adjustment will resolve the issue.

Too bad about the little followers not locking back the slide. Wish that disclaimer would have been on the web site. Is it the same for the Grams spring and followers? I like the looks of the CZC followers and springs and I get 23 9mm in the magazines reliably.

Thanks again,

Alma

Too bad about the little followers not locking back the slide. Wish that disclaimer would have been on the web site. Is it the same for the Grams spring and followers? I like the looks of the CZC followers and springs and I get 23 9mm in the magazines reliably.

Yes Grams too, that's the price you pay for the added capacity. Is there a reason you're doing slide stop reloads? I actually ground off the catch on slide stop so I can lock the slide open by manually pushing up, but the follower can't touch it. You'll find that if you're using bullets with a wider profile like 135gr round nose, loaded longer (>1.135") they will occasionally lock the slide open mid mag because the bullet hits that catch.

The slide won't lock back with little followers.

The doubling is likely due to your pre/over travel screws being set too tight. When you hold the trigger down, work the hammer up and down, if you're rubbing on the sear at all you need more over travel.

I really appreciate your help and the advice of everyone who comes here.

While depressing the trigger and working the hammer back and forth it was just barely catching. I moved the over-travel screw not quite a quarter of a turn out and the hammer now moves freely. The doubling was pretty infrequent so hopefully this minor adjustment will resolve the issue.

Thanks again,

Alma

i use the czc followers and they locked back but i shaved it down a little and polished the rails and even the slide lock so it wouldn't lock back as easy.

Yes Grams too, that's the price you pay for the added capacity. Is there a reason you're doing slide stop reloads? I actually ground off the catch on slide stop so I can lock the slide open by manually pushing up, but the follower can't touch it. You'll find that if you're using bullets with a wider profile like 135gr round nose, loaded longer (>1.135") they will occasionally lock the slide open mid mag because the bullet hits that catch.

It's just force of habit. I have typically shot Production division where slide-lock reloads are bread and butter. I had noticed that the Shadows have the extended slide lock levers so it is much easier to execute a slide lock reload on my Shadow than the TS which I thought curious at first. I guess this trade off makes sense now and I know Limited shooters who disable the slide stop as a preference. I just need to adjust my state of mind and learn to count. Thanks again for the responses.

No need; first mag goes to 11!

On that note, are you running 22 in the mags and one in the pipe for reloading and reliability or do you start with 24 in the gun and try seating the 23 round mags when reloading?

When I would run my G34 in a similar set up the added pressure from the full mag would slow down the slide enough to cause malfunctions if I wasn't careful. My standard then was to run 23 on my first mag and load one in the chamber and the belt mags had 22 to ensure a smooth reload.

It depends on the stage, but I try to never run the gun out of ammo on the clock. I load my mags all the way on my belt, then if I don't need the extra round, I won't use a barney mag and start with 22+1. I shoot my 9mm TS in Open, so I always have the option to start with the big stick.

For what it is worth, my IPSC Standard locks on the last round with the Grams followers.

Also note, I can't get 21 in there....yet.

This is the case for me as well. Five mags all lock it back. Could there be a difference between the 9s and 40s?

For what it is worth, my IPSC Standard locks on the last round with the Grams followers.

Also note, I can't get 21 in there....yet.

This is the case for me as well. Five mags all lock it back. Could there be a difference between the 9s and 40s?
Which follower and springs are you using?

• 1 year later...

Just reading this old thread as I have a TS .40 where the slide doesn't lock back on any of the mags (all of which are CZC extended base pads with Grams kits).

It bit me twice in last weekend's match. I missed a few shots, ran dry without realizing it, and had to rack the slide to find out what the problem was, and then rack it again to reload.

Of course, if I never missed and execute a flawless stage plan every time, it won't matter BUT ... anyone come up with a fix?

Of course, if I never missed and execute a flawless stage plan every time, it won't matter BUT ... anyone come up with a fix?

If you had the gun working exactly the way you wish, you would still be losing a lot when faced with a surprise flat footed reload.

I try to not be surprised, which makes the slide lock less of an issue, and to avoid plans which do not allow for any make up shots.

Easier said than done, but I think this is what will make you happy.

Thank you Captain Obvious :)

I didn't grab that moniker for nuthin!!

My fix was to grind the snot out of my slide release tab so it never locks back, and to reload more freely. With a limited gun you get trapped into thinking that you should run the mags to near capacity, even when you have a lot of ground to cover and could get a reload done for free.

One of my favorite things about my Shadow in 10-round IPSC is that I bump-slide-forward 100% of the time on a slide-lock reload, meaning it takes no more time to do a slide-lock reload than a battery reload.

Yeah, but that's a completely different point. All my CZs do that AFTER the slide locks back. The issue is that the slide ISN'T locking back.

If you want them to lock back every time, run the factory followers. It is the only way to be sure. Mine are so inconsistent in their locking back that I consider them all to be non locking. I can put a magazine in, rack it three or five times and it might lock back once, might not. If you run the full size followers with the extended springs and pads, you should get 19 in the magazine (I did at least, when I tested it for funsies)

I was chatting with Stuart from CZC about this. I think I am going to run a couple of mags with the factory followers and use them in certain specific stages where the FU factor is high. That plus plan my stages (and execute) better.

I was chatting with Stuart from CZC about this. I think I am going to run a couple of mags with the factory followers and use them in certain specific stages where the FU factor is high. That plus plan my stages (and execute) better.

For what it is worth, I shot single stack (8) and now production (10) at several matches this year, limited the rest of the time.

It seems like shooting in the low capacity classes makes you build some memory and probably planning muscles, and once they are there they are just there, and then it is easier.