Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 spc WC

tires2burn

If you happen to have one already loaded you can get a head start on seating die adjustment by putting the loaded cartridge into the shell plate and then raising the ram. Once the cartridge is in the die screw the adjustment screw down until it makes contact and you should be very close for seating your new loads.

About the crimp. I don't have a roll crimp so will put a slight taper crimp to it. I'm shooting a LCR with a medium load to curb the recoil. I have no idea on the load data, so will have to figure it out.

Edited by tires2burn

About the crimp. I don't have a roll crimp so will put a slight taper crimp to it. I'm shooting a LCR with a medium load to curb the recoil. I have no idea on the load data, so will have to figure it out.

I have an LCR that I carry a lot. Try the classic Bullseye loads :

3.1 grains of Winchester 231 or

2.7 grains of Alliant Bullsye

Those loads generally group well in any mechanically sound revolver. The 231 load is what I use for PPC. Soft shooting and accurate to 50 yards with a Zero or Hornady 148 HBWC

When I first started loading all I could find was Rainier 125gr RNFP. My powder of choice is Titegroup. I load 3.5 gr at 1.445 OAL. With the 147gr wad cutters I will try 3.0gr at 1.175 OAL.

Titegroup is pretty close to Bullseye in my limited experience with it. You might start a little lower. I don't know what my OAL is. I made up a dummy years ago and use it to set seating. Basically I leave about 1/32" of lead expose above the crimp with HBWC swages bullets. Works great for me. YMMV

Just a note on titegroup. It burns super hot and a bit smoky with lead. So hot that I don't use it in PPC because the cylinder heats up really fast. Much faster than with bullseye.

Smoky is relative as lead always smokes some when the lube starts burning.

Just something to think about if you are planning on sustained fire indoors. Probably not a huge issue unless you are practicing for a back-up gun match.

Thanks for the Ed Harris article. It was eye opening. I loaded up some rounds last night and went to the range. My load worked out to be 147 DEWC, 3.5 HP38 at 1.200 OAL. They shot accurate and fairly soft. I used a light taper crimp and not sure how much to crimp.

Here's some great wadcutter info from a guy who's been there and done it: http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/75f11fe4e235da7c69cabf94daa7dbd9-932.html

Reprint from a Fouling Shot article. Ed Harris usually has an article in each journal. Well worth the cost of cast Bullet Association membership.

And don't forget to visit the website too! Ed posts there daily.

* I Agree, these Xtreme Plated DEWC are Accurate, Light Recoil, & are fun to shoot.

fwiw: For me a BIG PLUS: Wife can shoot them with a 2-4" S&W K-Frame without much complaint. These aren't bad at all for practice with a S&W 442/642 :)

Bullet: Xtreme Copper PLATED 148grn. DEWC w/ Cannelure
Primer: CCI 500 SPP
Brass: Remington Brass .38 Spl
Powder: Winchester 231; 3.4 Grains
Crimp: Taper Crimp
OAL: 1.227"

38SplXtremePlated148grnDEWCW231001Smallj

Randomly selected pieces, Close Up Pics:
38SplXtremePlated148grnDEWCW231002Smallj
38SplXtremePlated148grnDEWCW231003Smallj

Edited by SPDGG

Hey SPD, I have been to the range about 5 times this week and have a good load worked up & its not far from yours. I'm using HP-38 at 3.7 and my OAL is 1.225. They shoot smooth and are accurate so I'm done with experimenting. Thanks everybody for the input.

• 7 months later...

I know this is a stale thread but it helped me out quite a bit when I was working up a plated load for my Clark PPC Revolver. Winchester 231 wasn't giving me any accuracy at 25 yards but things improved when I tried Titegroup.

Bullet: Bullet Works Copper Plated 148grn. DEWC w/ Cannelure
Powder: Hodgdon Titegroup 3.3 grs.
Primer: Federal 100 Small Pistol Match
Case: Federal .38 Special
LOAL: 1.200 (Taper Crimped)

MyClarkPPCRevolver.jpg

Five shots at 25 yards

c7238de0-499a-4da5-a3ef-a9f75bc084ca.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some chronograph results (since nobody else posted any!) with a slighty greater LOAL.

Bullet: Bullet Works Copper Plated 148grn. DEWC w/ Cannelure
Powder: Hodgdon Titegroup 3.3 grs.
Primer: Federal 100 Small Pistol Match
Case: Federal .38 Special
LOAL: 1.220 (Taper Crimp)
Avg. Vel.: 733.58 fps
ES: 55.64
SD: 20.80