Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The best lube for STI

LIKE2SHOOT

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea, my muffler bearings squeak unmercifully !!!

It's amazing stuff, here's a bearing I pulled out of my mom's car. As you can see, the muffler was so bad I had to cut it out, but the bearing still looks brand new. If I remember correctly, I think that bearing had somewhere around 70k miles on it. I actually ended up putting it in the replacement muffler (I know, cutting corners, but was trying to save mom some money), and it's still going strong.

2l8en0o.jpg

Edited by jrbet83

Great idea, my muffler bearings squeak unmercifully !!!

It's amazing stuff, here's a bearing I pulled out of my mom's car. As you can see, the muffler was so bad I had to cut it out, but the bearing still looks brand new. If I remember correctly, I think that bearing had somewhere around 70k miles on it. I actually ended up putting it in the replacement muffler (I know, cutting corners, but was trying to save mom some money), and it's still going strong.

2l8en0o.jpg

LOL dude, you win all lube threads.

Mix 5qts of Mobil 1 5w-20 and 1qt of Castor GTX 10w-40. Run it in a motor, at temp for 7 mins. Drain it into a clean aluminum pan (a plastic one will not work, as those heated hydrocarbons with adhere to the plastic). Immediately add 6 cups of M2C-33G approved automatic transmission fluid, as the polyalphaolefins molecules in the engine oil will bond with the ATF's kinematic viscosity modifiers, to produce what is know as a polypalesian compound. After cooling at room temperature in humidity less than 70% (if your in humidity greater then 70% 8oz of organic vegetable oil will need to be added), remove the top layer of oil (as this is where the majority of the monopalesian compound will collect, as the polyalesian compound is heavier) and discard. The remaining mixture is the best lube for an STI. You'll see best results if you use within 7-8 months, as the compound bonding will begin to separate and you can start to get oxidilysis.

What a coincidence. I do exactly the same thing.

Except I add a pinch of Paprika for color.

Mix 5qts of Mobil 1 5w-20 and 1qt of Castor GTX 10w-40. Run it in a motor, at temp for 7 mins. Drain it into a clean aluminum pan (a plastic one will not work, as those heated hydrocarbons with adhere to the plastic). Immediately add 6 cups of M2C-33G approved automatic transmission fluid, as the polyalphaolefins molecules in the engine oil will bond with the ATF's kinematic viscosity modifiers, to produce what is know as a polypalesian compound. After cooling at room temperature in humidity less than 70% (if your in humidity greater then 70% 8oz of organic vegetable oil will need to be added), remove the top layer of oil (as this is where the majority of the monopalesian compound will collect, as the polyalesian compound is heavier) and discard. The remaining mixture is the best lube for an STI. You'll see best results if you use within 7-8 months, as the compound bonding will begin to separate and you can start to get oxidilysis.

I've heard that if you use this mixture on your Retroencabulator's hydrocoptic marzul vanes that side fumbling will be effectively prevented.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian Enos Slide Glide on the slide rails and Firepower FP10 or any other quality oil everywhere else needing lube

+1. I will use Slide Glide lite on the rails and barrel, then FP10 or Militec oil on the remaining.

• 3 weeks later...

The STI manual used to say to stay away from grease / gun butter. I don't have any idea why or if they changed it.

I had an Edge like gun built and asked the gun smith what he recommended. "30 weight synthetic, and if you don't get oil on your shooting glasses after cleaning then you probably didn't use enough" , he was half kidding about the oil and I think he might have said 10-30 if he lived in the cooler climes, but for what it is worth.

I've heard that if you use this mixture on your Retroencabulator's hydrocoptic marzul vanes that side fumbling will be effectively prevented.

Depends upon the porosity of the flocculate.