Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anybody use tulammo?

3djedi

Yeah, I have a several cases through mine and no tumbling, holding MOA groups or better at 100 or so. I don't shoot them past 200 but my other ammo is shot out to 350 and no tumbling/problems with groups there either. I think the round count would have to be much higher than 4K before damage can be seen/realized.

The 62gr Tula HPs shoot great out of my rifle, much better than 55s. I did break an extractor (on the last stage of a match of course), but my rifle was really dirty, over 500 steel cased rounds without cleaning. That was at about 2500 rounds total, at least 1500 were steel. Not bad all things considered.

I have shot 5k of the bi-metal Tula and Wolf and now another 1k of std FMJ. My non-chrome lined barrel has recently began showing signs of lose of accuracy at 300yds. I used to could shoot a 3" five shot group at 300 yds, but now the barrel is doing good to keep them on a 9" paper plate at 300. I just ordered a new barrel and plan to shoot mostly FMJ.

I never experienced any issues with Tula, Herters or Wolf. Much of it also shot MOA in my Wilson barrel.

I have shot 5k of the bi-metal Tula and Wolf and now another 1k of std FMJ. My non-chrome lined barrel has recently began showing signs of lose of accuracy at 300yds. I used to could shoot a 3" five shot group at 300 yds, but now the barrel is doing good to keep them on a 9" paper plate at 300. I just ordered a new barrel and plan to shoot mostly FMJ.

I never experienced any issues with Tula, Herters or Wolf. Much of it also shot MOA in my Wilson barrel.

Yep steel on steel is not a good thing. Using bi metal which is just a fancy way of saying a mild steel bullet with a micron thin copper flashing. If your loosing accuracy at 300 you are losing it at all ranges. Just how it works.

Pat

Bi-Metal bullets are not what you want to run through your barrels if you are interested in accuracy. If you don't care about your barrels , then have fun.

They are also not what you run through your barrel if you care about barrel life.

Pat

If they run in your gun then they will save you money over the PMC or other more expensive ammunition. Even if you shot 5000 of them and needed to replace a barrel it would still save money over buying PMC or federal ammunition. Reloading is always cheaper but it also comes with a heavy opportunity cost. I would run tula but I am not happy with it's lack of reliabilty or accuracy. For local matches and up close go for it if it works in your gun!

With that being said I reload everything I shoot except shotgun shells.

Edited by GM2B