Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anybody use tulammo?

3djedi

I've run many 1000's of steel case through some of my ARs (used to get it really, really cheap) and it has never caused any issues with those rifles.

It does seem to be a bit dirtier and sometimes a bit under powered, but I saved a lot of $$$ using it for plinking ammo and just had to do a little more cleaning for those savings.

I've run many 1000's of steel case through some of my ARs (used to get it really, really cheap) and it has never caused any issues with those rifles.

It does seem to be a bit dirtier and sometimes a bit under powered, but I saved a lot of $$$ using it for plinking ammo and just had to do a little more cleaning for those savings.

I second this, basically though... the more finicky or go fast your gun gets the more problems Ive seen with this and wolf and all other steel case for that matter. I can personally say in pistols ive fired thousands and thousands of 9mm steel and never seen any chamber damage like some claim... this could be different for AR15 but i havent personally seen it yet.

The bimetal or steel jackets (forget the cases) are not welcome at all my local ranges in all situations as well as Tarheel 3 Gun matches when firing at steel plates.

I have hundreds of rounds that I cannot use in most shooting situations. If you want inexpensive ammo, consider something like Wolf Gold (I think that's the name). Brass cased as well as non-magnetic bullets.

If it's steel targets I use non magnetic ammo mainly because it's required as people

Feel it damages steel targets which it does not as the velocity is what does the damage and the Tula is much slower than xm193 or 50 grain varmet loads. If it's paper which is usualy not

Long distance I run it as works fine in all my guns

I've used quite a bit of Tula and Brown Bear for paper targets but I try to always use the Federal or Hornady stuff for steel. Although I have never seen any damage from one of those brands on my steel, I just make it a habit not to shoot others steel with it. I read the Luckygunner article last year and it started to make me think about going to other brands but I haven't. Just like Tooth and Nail said, you save enough by that time to buy a new barrel and then some.

Most of the steel case rounds I've shot over the last decade or so have had lead core, copper jacketed bullets.

I've actually shot more brass rounds with steel core or steel tip projectiles in that time, radway used to be dirt cheap.

I have not shot any Tula but have shot a lot of Wolf and while it has never caused an issue in my rifles I have seen it stuck in others (and helped beat it out). I have run the steel cased at classes where I could not police brass and to save a few bucks but would not run it in a match. With bulk 5.56 coming back I probably will not buy anymore steel cased ammo.

I have not shot any Tula, but have ran several thousand rounds of Wolf through various ARs over the years. I have not had any issues, other than being a little dirtier than some brass cased loads. Used to, a new barrel was $200, a case of Winchester white box was $200 and a case of Wolf was $100. After 2k rounds of Wolf and the same barrel, you were saving money. The worst stuck case that I have ever seen was a brass case. Unless you have some high end expensive rifle (why buy a Shelby GT500 and run E85 in it?), I would use it for practice. Most matches won't allow magnetic projectiles.

Hurley

I use it for practice and local matches on stages that are paper only and ranges under 75 yards.

It may be OK for longer ranges but I've not tested any of it past 75.

So far (knock on wood) not a single stuck case.

For a while, it was the only .223 ammo we could find. It was either shoot Tula or stay home.

Bill

I shot 55 grain tula at 100 yards this past weekend at the range and it printed all over the place. I then shot pmc at the same distance all with iron sights and it grouped more consistent.

The PMC Bronze shoots reasonably accurate in my 16" gun. I've used it out to 200 yards. For me, it was comparable to XM193.

I used to use it all the time for shots inside 100 yards. But reliability is definitely an issue.... Some of my barrels would eat it up others would not at all. The cost savings is definitely worth it if you dont mind a malfunction every 1000 rounds or more often! Even if it burns up the barrel quicker it doesnt matter barrels are expendable and meant to be replaced!

I had a very bad experience with a stuck steel case in my AR and haven't touched the stuff since.

ditto

Minus the stuck cases and slightly worse reliability, I think it actually is one of the better cheap 55 gr .223 factory ammos out there for accuracy. Seemed better than American Eagle, M193 of multiple brands, Federal, etc. I think PMC bronze is better but I have not seen any for reasonable prices lately.

I have seen it damage steel. No Tula, Wolf, Green tip or anything that attracts a magnet at our matches. Plus its really bad for your barrels. Not big deal if you are ok with only about 4K on your barrel before the bullets tumble. Yes barrels can be replaced but I would rather reload for cheaper hand have my barrels last 4 times as long.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo