Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is conversion to 300 Blackout as easy as buying an upper?

flyingrhino

I have a match 223 that I'd like to convert to 300 blackout. Is it as easy as dropping on a new upper? Any other changes necessary? I want to keep the match 223 upper but would like the option of the larger caliber for hunting. Midway has one for under $500. I'm not looking for match accuracy so I don't want to drop another $1K or more into this. I've got enough in it as it is. I'd just like something that will deliver more punch out to 200-300 yards. What kind of useful range could I expect from this cartridge?

It will have decent "punch" at less than 100 yds, but runs out of steam VERY quickly after that due to the poor BC of the light 30 cal bullets. Also, at any distance greater than 150 yds, drop becomes much significant than a 5.56. Bullet choice is also very important, as the low initial velocity of the cartridge leads to bullet speed dropping below the expansion threshold quickly.

If you are looking for a 200-300 yd hunting caliber, try a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. You will need a different bolt and mags though. I would also consider trying some alternative 223 loads with different bullets, like some of the new bonded core offerings, as these can considerably expand the terminal effectiveness of the 5.56.

FYI I have a 300 BLK, and am intimately familiar with its pros/cons. I would only really only consider it if you were going to suppress it.

As previously mentioned, the only difference between standard .223/5.56 AR and 300 Blackout AR is the barrel, though you also want to stick with carbine or shorter gas system for reliable function. With 110-130 gr bullets at max velocities around 2300-2500fps, you can easily handle anything deer-sized or under out to 250 or so. With an optic zeroed a few inches high at 100 yds, you could pretty easily handle anything out to 200-300 with only a little holdover. The light bullets tend to be constructed with thinner jackets and are quicker to expand at lower velocities. Fine for hog hunting with mid-to-heavy-weight projectiles at the typically shorter ranges of that activity.

300 Blackout isn't a barn-burner, but it can get in the neighborhood of .30/30 performance and I would bet my right one that that round has accounted for as much or more game than any (except maybe .30/06) in North America. And, it requires very little in the way of unique components. The aforementioned 6.8 and 6.5 require unique bolts and mags and such.

I don't know about you guys, but for a defensive carbine (inside 25 yards, vs 2-legged prey), I can't think of a better platform than 30 rounds of 300 BLK in a 16" AR. Same thing for Hogs, but you can only shoot 5 round mags in FL.

Jeff

Filing down the ribs in the front of mags,I use p-mags, allows you to load longer and have smooth feeding. I've been using 155gr bullets loaded to full mag length with great success. Getting 2100-2150fps out of my 20" barrel. Load actually makes major pf if anyone scores multi-gun that way anymore.

This will be primarily for deer and hog. Maybe coyote just for grins. My 223 is devastating on coyotes. I definitely want the entire upper for easy switch out. This rifle was built piece by piece for hi power competition and it fits me like a glove. I want to use my present lower to take advantage of everything that's in it. I can't afford to build another. The 300 is just for fun and I have thousands of rounds in 223 brass so converting a 1000 or so would be no big deal. I'm also going to cast and coat my bullets for this.

There have been a few instances where the wrong ammo went into the wrong gun, so I would highly recommend using magazines of a different color or style and make those your .300 Blackout mags.

Just to avoid a KABOOM!

YES! Just to make sure! My friend uses the lancer mags because they dont curve as much as 3rd gen pmags. I guess there have been some issues with the little bit longer OAL on the 300 AAC and the curvature of the new pmags. Just make sure you know the dope on the scope because the 300 AAC falls like a rock after a little bit

There have been a few instances where the wrong ammo went into the wrong gun, so I would highly recommend using magazines of a different color or style and make those your .300 Blackout mags.

Just to avoid a KABOOM!

YES! Just to make sure! My friend uses the lancer mags because they dont curve as much as 3rd gen pmags. I guess there have been some issues with the little bit longer OAL on the 300 AAC and the curvature of the new pmags. Just make sure you know the dope on the scope because the 300 AAC falls like a rock after a little bit

My comp mags are all straight. I have a couple hi caps that are curved. Using a BURRIS 8x32 scope. Have a great ballistics program I use for long range shooting.

Back in November I was considering building a Blackout. Then I found out about the 6x45 and built that instead. Out of a 20" barrel I'm getting around 2725 with an 85gr SGK. I've seen more than a few posts on other boards about 2800fps with an 85. One benefit is a variety of bonded bullets compared to .224 diameter. Main draw for me though was the ease of forming brass. One pass through the sizing die and it's done.

• 3 months later...

Love the 300 Blk. As stated, with the right ammo, you can easly achieve 30-30 performance. I suspect there are more 30-30 whitetail kills, than 243, 270, 308, and 30-06 combined. For me, it's really because I've had my 30-30 for a very long time, and it works for dense woods, short range hunting. At 200 yd. and under, with the Blk under the right ammo, it will go down. I have a 3x9 scope for hunting and a Meprolight for PD. A new upper would serve you well and make change out easy. As mentioned earlier, be very careful of feeding the right ammo. I use very distinct mags. Get a 5 or 10 round mag for hunting with the 300 and mark it with a distinct color. I like the 125 gr, for hunting (Sierra and Nosler both make a good 125 gr. bullet).

I have a match 223 that I'd like to convert to 300 blackout. Is it as easy as dropping on a new upper? Any other changes necessary? I want to keep the match 223 upper but would like the option of the larger caliber for hunting. Midway has one for under $500. I'm not looking for match accuracy so I don't want to drop another $1K or more into this. I've got enough in it as it is. I'd just like something that will deliver more punch out to 200-300 yards. What kind of useful range could I expect from this cartridge?

I've been collecting parts to build a 300BLK on the cheap for the same reasons as you. If it were me I would buy an upper, handguard, gas block & tube then one of these barrels.

http://www.shop.masdefense.com/300-AAC-Blackout_c9.htm

You could swap the BCG from your other upper when wanting to use the 300 and I think it could easily be done for under the $500 from midway.