Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which die set

dbmet

I like the Lee dies. Specifically their resizing dies due to the decapping pins. Lee's decapping pins are held in place via a tapered collet that you can set the tension on. When you accidentally come across a berdan primer and try to decap it, the decapping pin simply slides upwards. Remove the case, and take a brass hammer and tap the pin back in place and you can continue on reloading.

Some other brands (Not sure about RCBS) use a threaded decapping pin. Hit that with a bit too much force and you'll be spending time replacing it, slowing down your pace and putting a small dent in your wallet.

I use Hornady for 9, and Lee for my 45's and both sets have their ups and downs. I personally like the threaded capping pins, the design of the Lee dies has its benefits as Brassaholic13 pointed out but in my experience I preferred the threaded. It is easier to adjust and tighten them but both styles do the job.

I haven't felt the need to replace my Lee .45 die set yet though so don't think I am trying to dissuade you from using them.

I like Dillon dies because I load lead. Cleaning the seater and crimper is as easy as pulling a spring clip, dropping the insert and clean it. Also, changing seater inserts for different nose designs is the same. Just pull the pin, flip the seater stem over and drop it in. Replace the pin.

I like Dillon dies because I load lead. Cleaning the seater and crimper is as easy as pulling a spring clip, dropping the insert and clean it. Also, changing seater inserts for different nose designs is the same. Just pull the pin, flip the seater stem over and drop it in. Replace the pin.

Agree Big Time if you're loading lead!

Clean up is a breeze.

PLUS - Dillon die openings are beveled/chamfered for smoother insertion for progressive presses. Really pays off as you pick up speed. No clunking or grinding from catching case edges on the edge of the die.

Edited by Reinz

My favorite die set is the Hornady New Dimension. Second is Lee. RCBS is about my last choice. Reddiing may be as good, but the additional cost just doesn't seem like it is worth it.

They all work, but the Hornady sizer works smoother and easier than the others and goes down almost as far as my Lees.

Hornady makes a very good stand-alone expander die.

Hornady's seating die has a sleeve to help align the bullet and can be removed, but no where as easily as the Dillon, without removing the die body. All seating dies should have a seating stem that matches the bullet profile as close as possible--custom seating stems are worth it.

Any taper crimp die is as good as any other that I have ever used. The Lee FCD works well, unless you load over-sized lead bullet, but I haven't found a need for it other than as part of a Bulge Buster. Thus, I would save money and buy a Lee TAPER crimp die.

I really don't think it makes much difference most or all of them will give you quality ammo if set up right.

My 40 set up is lee U die dillon seat die and dillon crimp die.

My 38 setup is rcbs,lee,redding .

One advantage, and disadvantage, to the Lee sizing die is that it has less chamfer at the entrance to the die (compared to many others) . This is an advantage in that it will size lower on the case, disadvantage is that the case needs to be centered on the die better than the ones with more chamfer at the entrance.