Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Military Charities

I am doing some research for adding in a charitable side to an upcoming match in north west Indiana. I have looked at the ratings of many military charities and wonder if anyone out there has any good or bad experiences as I move forward with this task? I have looked at the big names and want to make sure we go down the right path not just the easy path to support, assist and promote the right group.

Thanks

Tom

You have got to be kidding me, they won't take money from a gun related event! I would like to do the most good we can and figure an organization we may be able to help financially and also help them promote. Maybe I am off track but i have time to get back on and my find a local vet to help. Remington is supporting Special Forces Charitable Trust maybe i will try that. Or try some local research.

FWIW WWP will not take money from a gun related event. so I would find a local or county level organization. Or as young eyes mentioned find a local vet who could use the help.

False.

www.shootforheroes.com

unless they have done a huge about face it is true. They would not take my money from the Ohio state match

Last I talked to them they also would not accept donations from events promoting tobacco or alcohol either.

Come to think of it they may have had a problem with exchanging firearms such as raffles. Either way I could not support them after that . There are plenty of military charities that have no such restrictions

FWIW WWP will not take money from a gun related event. so I would find a local or county level organization. Or as young eyes mentioned find a local vet who could use the help.

False.

www.shootforheroes.com

unless they have done a huge about face it is true. They would not take my money from the Ohio state match

Their loss. The Newtown Police Department was very grateful to get your generous donation. The protective vests it will help buy, will save lives. Thanks again Sarge. :bow:

http://www.guns.com/2012/11/15/wounded-warrior-project-clarification-anti-gun/

Here is the pertinent bit:

"Regarding the question of donations and events, we do permit fundraisers that are shooting- and gun-related, such as gun raffles, shooting competitions, etc., and were incredibly appreciative of those who are willing to give their time to host or participate in an event. Likewise, we gratefully accept donations from companies and individuals connected with the gun industry."

Essentially they aren't going to license their logo on weapons of any kind. Still, if I ran a charitable match, I would consider giving to HAVA or Chris Kyle's Hero Project.

Chris Kyle's charity. Hands down. I had the pleasure and honor to meet him some time ago. Every person connected to Chris's continued work is amazing. They actually help..not talk but action.

Sorry for the rant..but near and dear charity to me.

There is a web site called Charity Navigator that ranks charities according to how their money is used - how much of it goes to the cause and how much to admin. Usually the bigger charities spend a lot of money on promotion so get a lower rating. Doesn't make them a bad cause, just perhaps a bit admin heavy.

Two that I have found that are very highly rated are Homes for Our Troops and Hope for the Warriors

https://www.hfotusa.org/

http://www.hopeforthewarriors.org/

Thanks i was using the Charity Navigator yesterday to check some out. I read the response from the anti-gun link above and it almost made me think i was listening to a politician and not a charity . I guess you have to worry about your Branding and control the Narrative, too bad they have to worry about who they associated with. I guess Jesus should have stayed away from those tax collectors and other sinners to protect his brand!