Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time PractiScore User- What Happened?

chaosshooter00

So I finally got the iPad and Nook NST's in use this weekend, thought everything went smooth enough, a little trouble getting scores to EzWinscore, but I managed. Go to the Area 2 site for results and...EVERYONE is unclassified! Doesn't show that on the iPad or the lap top, so, what's the deal? Did I miss something in the step by step? Does anyone have a step by step? Let me know if anyone has an idea. Thanks

I've seen similar behavior for several months. I can't remember when it started, but at least 2 rev's ago. Since the classifications show up in the PS export file (which is mailed to competitors and posted on our website), I don't think it's important to me. USPSA is the authority that determines classifications anyway, so there's no value in me telling USPSA what I think our competitor's Class is. Annoying, but hardly a show stopper.

When you bring your match over to ezwinscore, the shooters' classifications are not included. You have to run a classification update after bringing in your competitors. This is nothing new. The Palm export/import interface within ezws never did do classifications. People who were scoring matches on palmscore or ussscore had to do the same thing. It's not practiscore's fault.

This has always, unfortunately, been the case. We send classifications over, but ezws ignores them. The step missed is to do a classification update in ezws prior to generating the results.

Or steal or borrow an iOS device, synch, and do your activity report from it directly with no ezWS needed. (-:

Regards,

Ken N.

P.S. Note that you should do a classification update in PS as well, just to make sure the data is right. It's easy, but does require internet, so do it where that is available.

Edited by Ken N.

This has always, unfortunately, been the case. We send classifications over, but ezws ignores them. The step missed is to do a classification update in ezws prior to generating the results.

Or steal or borrow an iOS device, synch, and do your activity report from it directly with no ezWS needed. (-:

Regards,

Ken N.

P.S. Note that you should do a classification update in PS as well, just to make sure the data is right. It's easy, but does require internet, so do it where that is available.

Is there a process somewhere to do the uploads to USPSA without EzWinscore? I did the classification update and had changes for re-entry, do I need to do the update every time I change something? Thanks

When you bring your match over to ezwinscore, the shooters' classifications are not included. You have to run a classification update after bringing in your competitors. This is nothing new. The Palm export/import interface within ezws never did do classifications. People who were scoring matches on palmscore or ussscore had to do the same thing. It's not practiscore's fault.

Nothing new to you, big guy, this is the first time for us without paper and all my guys are convinced electronic gadgets are the "debil", so I get to hear about every little mistake. You've always been a ton of help and I appreciate your input and look forward to much more. Thank you.

If you mean activity reporting, you generate the upload file in practiscore, then hit the share icon (little square with an arrow coming out of it) and send it to yourself in email or to your dropbox or whatever facility you choose to actually get the file over to your computer. From there, just browse to uspsa.org like you normally would, point to the file on your computer, and upload it.

If you mean activity reporting, you generate the upload file in practiscore, then hit the share icon (little square with an arrow coming out of it) and send it to yourself in email or to your dropbox or whatever facility you choose to actually get the file over to your computer. From there, just browse to uspsa.org like you normally would, point to the file on your computer, and upload it.

I was asking about the whole shebang, but that is helpful to know. I have found a gang of step by steps and used one from our Havasu club to get this going, but each one seems to have differences based on that persons personal preferences, ie, iPads= good, Nooks=bad, etc. Is there something available as an end all, help all? Thanks

Well, I'd run iPad minis too if my club was rich beyond the dreams of avarice, but the nooks have a screen that you can see in any sort of light, the battery will run all weekend on a single charge (I'd recharge them at night anyway, I should think) and $39-$79 a unit v. $279 is impossible to ignore. (Also have to figure in the cost of otter box or similar protective cases for the iPads.) And rooting one is crazy-simple now with the rootnscoreit package. But you do (in my opinion and that of others) have to have an iOS device as the master to which all the nooks are synched.

Well, I'd run iPad minis too if my club was rich beyond the dreams of avarice, but the nooks have a screen that you can see in any sort of light, the battery will run all weekend on a single charge (I'd recharge them at night anyway, I should think) and $39-$79 a unit v. $279 is impossible to ignore. (Also have to figure in the cost of otter box or similar protective cases for the iPads.) And rooting one is crazy-simple now with the rootnscoreit package. But you do (in my opinion and that of others) have to have an iOS device as the master to which all the nooks are synched.

As per our last communications, I did exactly that. The locals are spoiled by the other club having 9 iPads, but my crew knows we spent less on four NST's than the cost of one more iPad and the fact that you can see them here in the Arizona sun speaks volumes.

The new v1.6 on iOS really helps with seeing the iPad screen. We still use non-glare screens but what Ken and gang have done with working the layout is amazing!

On the other hand, he hasn't done squat to get the cost of iPad's down tho :-)

Pete

The new v1.6 on iOS really helps with seeing the iPad screen. We still use non-glare screens but what Ken and gang have done with working the layout is amazing!

Pete

Apple laughed at me when I approached them about a bulk purchase. Thousands would yield maybe a 5% savings.

Pete

Do I need to upgrade to v1.6 or is it the current download? Don't have the iPad in front of me to check version, but I just loaded it two weeks ago.

Do I need to upgrade to v1.6 or is it the current download? Don't have the iPad in front of me to check version, but I just loaded it two weeks ago.

The iPad will tell you, but yes, it's newer than 2 weeks.

Thanks, is it a plug and play update or is there a step by step required?

You need to be sure to enable updates. I have everything turned off that I can find to save batteries and in an effort to limit the capabilities of the iPad down to just a stage scoring machine. Really don't want shooters to do facetime while waiting for the next shooter to come to the line!

You need to be sure to enable updates. I have everything turned off that I can find to save batteries and in an effort to limit the capabilities of the iPad down to just a stage scoring machine. Really don't want shooters to do facetime while waiting for the next shooter to come to the line!

I don't have anything turned off, as we just use it for a Master. Will it auto update at practiscore.com?

I don't have anything turned off, as we just use it for a Master. Will it auto update at practiscore.com?

Not sure what you mean "at practiscore.com". The App Store update is an option on the General tab under settings on the iPad. I turn it off to control when updates happen. Sometimes, especially on the Android version, updates can come out, shall we say a bit premature, and it is nice to let them cook for a bit before allowing them to come down automatically. A great example was that iOS 7 came out about a week before our Area II Championship and I elected to stay with what we knew rather than take a chance with a new OS just before a major match. It was a good decision although we only saw good stuff with iOS 7.