Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long time 550b loader, adding a Square Deal?

I have been running a 550B for a llloooonnnggg time (tens of thousands of rounds) and like it A LOT. I may have a chance to pick up a cheap and unloved Square Deal B set up for 9mm from a local bud. It seems like a nice idea to have a machine set up just for 9mm as quantity wise I can or will shoot as much of it as everything else combined. Anybody run both? How strange is it for a dedicated 550 user to get used to a Square Deal? Interestingly, as I just checked, a new 550B without caliber conversion is only $15 more than a new Square Deal B and would be the way to go if money was no object and I just wanted another machine. And no, I am not interested in buying, or even hearing about how I need a 650 or 1050. ; )

I also a long time 550 user, had the chance to buy some used SQ Deal B's over the years and didn't regret the decision. Ended up having one dedicated to 45acp the other to 9mm. Kept the 550 free for the other 14 calibers I load. Only issue I had is having what I call farmer hands from years of road construction labor. The SQ Deal B is a tight fit for placing the bullet on the round. Putting the brass in wasn't a problem just placing the bullet.

If you can buy them at reasonable price go ahead. You can always sell them for equal or close to what you paid if you don’t overdo it. If you buy one well used send it to Dillon first for a rebuild. I think is cost me $25 for shipping and it was back in 10 business days. I think they just sent me a new one. It was perfect. Thank you Dillon

Ok, I was writing a response and then got sidetracked and see that in the meantime Tripod gave you some great advice, very similar to what I wrote! :cheers:

>>>>>>>>

Long time 550 user here, too. I agree that the 550 is a great machine and was the one I always hung onto while others came and went.

If you have the space I think there is a lot to be said for having a second press dedicated to producing your “main” pistol caliber, which sounds to be 9mm for you.

The SDB is a good press and can make some good ammo. The only negatives in my mind are the proprietary dies which would exclude you from using something like a U-die and the machine is smaller than your 550 so it might feel a little cramped when you place the bullet, pull cases to check powder, etc. I had a SDB in .45 for a while and liked it and eventually sold it, but not because it was a bad machine. Worst case is that you try it and find that it isn’t working out as you thought, and then sell it. If the price is right, I say try it out.

Just hang on to your 550 for your other calibers, and 9mm load development.

Edited by Bamboo

I also a long time 550 user, had the chance to buy some used SQ Deal B's over the years and didn't regret the decision. Ended up having one dedicated to 45acp the other to 9mm. Kept the 550 free for the other 14 calibers I load. Only issue I had is having what I call farmer hands from years of road construction labor. The SQ Deal B is a tight fit for placing the bullet on the round. Putting the brass in wasn't a problem just placing the bullet.

If you can buy them at reasonable price go ahead. You can always sell them for equal or close to what you paid if you don’t overdo it. If you buy one well used send it to Dillon first for a rebuild. I think is cost me $25 for shipping and it was back in 10 business days. I think they just sent me a new one. It was perfect. Thank you Dillon

^^ my experience exactly^^

I still have and use the SDB for 45. I also have two 550s. I have considered selling the SDB many times; just hate to turn loose of tools that actually use. It does save a little time having a dedicated press.

If I were you, I'd pass on the SDB for 9mm and get the 550 and an EGW U-die. You could always have a U-die turned down and threaded to fit the SDB if you decide to go that way.

a new 550B without caliber conversion is only $15 more than a new Square Deal B and would be the way to go if money was no object and I just wanted another machine.

I didn't bother to check just now (Just woke up), but I'm pretty sure the 550 is over $100 more than a SqDB??

Sounds like you love the 550, and if loading 9mm major, I'd recommend the 550 and better dies - if 9mm minor,

up to you - the SqDB will do it all, but if you prefer the 550, go for it. :cheers:

From Left to Right on bench; I have a T7 Redding, a 550b and a SQDb. It is an awesome setup. I am entertaining adding a 650 in the mix.

For the question. Currently my 550 is setup for 40 and the SQDb for 9mm. In one reloading session it is common for me to load 400 40s and 400 9mms back to back. I have zero problems switching between the two. In fact, i just made a video for a friend going through the same thought process of me loading on the 550 and then moving to the SQDb. It is very obvious in the video there is almost no "speed" difference between the two. Both of them suffer from not having a case feeder. This is the slow down. Hence, thinking about a 650.

Why the SQDb? Purchased for turing out 9mm on demand and never having to change anything. it is always there and ready to go and I don't monkey with it. My 550 is more of my workhorse for all calibers I play with including .223.

The T7 is for processing 40 and 223. It is also my go to machine for small batch rifle loading and testing. The T7 is a wonderful machine and an animal in it's own right. If I had to loose one press on the bench - it would NOT be the T7.

RT

a new 550B without caliber conversion is only $15 more than a new Square Deal B and would be the way to go if money was no object and I just wanted another machine.

I didn't bother to check just now (Just woke up), but I'm pretty sure the 550 is over $100 more than a SqDB??

The price difference is in the small print "without caliber conversion" the 550B is much cheaper that way than complete and ready to go (with shell plate and dies, that I already have for everything I would load.)

And thanks to those that mentioned the smaller window on the SDB, as I had never loaded on a SDB I had not thought about that. I am a pretty ham-fisted fellow myself and will have to look at that. I am kind of hoping my daughter might get real excited about shooting someday (she is just 10 now) and the SDB would be a nice machine for her. "Hey kid, go load your own ammo"

Edited by chevyoneton

I wouldnt take it. You can get another 550 for under $400 without the caliber conversion. I tried and almost bought a SDB, but i couldnt stand the position of the handle. I could never find a comfortable position to reload while using it.

Edited by leewongfei

Loaded on two 550's for a very long time before selling one 550 to help purchase a 650. That said I would go with the other 550. Set one up small primers and one up large. You know the machine and if one crashes at a bad time then it's not a big issue to rob the other till you get the parts. The plus for the 550 for me is you can use any standard die set and there's times another brand might do the job easier as the U die. I liked the set up with lot's of tool heads easy to switch etc. I would not have bought the 650 if it wasn't a good deal on used equipment with lot's of extra's.