Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Practical

reddot

What do I really need to add to a Benelli Practical for USPSA-Type 3-gun Open? Is a side-saddle a necessity? How many more Tec-loaders do I need? Are the Aluminum, bolt on speed-loader brackets from SSI any better than the original? What is the major consensus on dots compared to Ghost-rings? I just got a new Practical model and I have shot a few local matches, but plan to try some of the bigger ones this season and I want to be ready. The way I shoot, enough people will be laughing already, so I want to get the right gear.

I have a Benelli Practical.  I would hold out for Bevin Grams new loading gate.  Gonna be slick.  Been waiting for a while for him to come out with it.  Get a total of 8 Tec-loaders.  DON'T put a side saddle on it.  It will foul it up.  Put a Dot on if you shoot OPEN..  I have a Holosight on mine.  I have an extended tube on mine.  It holds 13 total if you load the carrier.  DON'T do the oversized bolt.  I have one for sale if you feel the need but it will foul up the recoil of the bolt and malfunction.  I have a sure-cycle with the spring cut about 8 coils and it funtions with low recoil slugs.  Any questions just ask.  I have fooled around alot with mine.

Rob

I have a Benelli Practical.  I would hold out for Bevin Grams new loading gate.  Gonna be slick.  Been waiting for a while for him to come out with it.  Get a total of 8 Tec-loaders.  DON'T put a side saddle on it.  It will foul it up.  Put a Dot on if you shoot OPEN..  I have a Holosight on mine.  I have an extended tube on mine.  It holds 13 total if you load the carrier.  DON'T do the oversized bolt.  I have one for sale if you feel the need but it will foul up the recoil of the bolt and malfunction.  I have a sure-cycle with the spring cut about 8 coils and it funtions with low recoil slugs.  Any questions just ask.  I have fooled around alot with mine.

Rob

Rob

Did you change the stock to get your head up high enough for the Holo? I have a Holo, but it seems really high on the receiver forcing my head to be held up. The ghost rings seem pretty fast, is the dot that much faster? Have you heard of anyone mounting a dot sight low enough to be able to see the GR's through the lens?

What is the Gram's loading gate like?

What do you think of the "slide lock 2 pack"?

And finally, where can I find info on"tricks" like sure-cycle and maybe making the trigger better and things like that?

Thanks again,

RD

I have stock m1super90 pre-ban model, where are there tips on fixing up the trigger? I use a sidesaddle and it works fine, but I have to shoot hotter loads, I would rather deall with the recoil and have the faster 6  rounds for reloading. Any tips would be appreciated.

I don't seem to have a problem with my head being up high enough.

A friend that shoots open sights tried it at a practice session and he thought the Holo made a huge difference.  I don't like the ghost rings myself.

I have not seen the new Grams loading block but I did see that eariler prototype and Bevin said the new one is even better.  I didn't think he could make it much better than he had.

"slide lock 2 pack"? ????????

I got my sure cycle from Brownells.  You can find the web site by doing a search.  I'm sure it's http://www.surecycle.com.   Yes that is it.   I didn't do anything to the trigger.  I am used to it and it's fine as is.  Never had a shotgun trigger job before.

First, decide if you want to shoot Open Class or Limited Class.  Open class allows optics ( probably want a red-dot) and a maximum of 11 rounds in the gun.  I use a 10 round tube + one in the chamber.  You also can use speedloaders.  In Limited you cannot use optics, can only have 9 rounds in the gun and cannot use speedloaders. Open can have a comp and ports, Limited cannot.  The Practical has ports so I guess you better figure on Open.  I have a 26" Field barrel when shooting Open and the original 18 3/4" M1 barrel when shooting Limited or Tactical matchs.  I use a side-saddle, 2 rounds at ejection port, and 6 rounds on the butt-stock when shooting Limited or tactical.  Open uses speedloaders (6) with the two SHTF rounds at the ejection port.