Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One gun for all divisions

TerryYu

What do you think would be a good gun that can be competitive in as many divisions as possible?

I'm thinking either the M&P Pro .40 or the Glock 35. Those are legal in IDPA SSP/ESP and USPSA Prod/Limited10/Limited.

Any others that I have overlooked?

Ugh never mind, just saw that OP has a 2 year old USPSA number...

Not a newcomer.

Still, the question is a paradox... The things you need to compete in one thing are prohibited in another.

The revolver guys are funny. They remind me of guys who shave with a straight razor. Impractical and difficult to do well, but cool as hell.

What do you think would be a good gun that can be competitive in as many divisions as possible?

I'm thinking either the M&P Pro .40 or the Glock 35. Those are legal in IDPA SSP/ESP and USPSA Prod/Limited10/Limited.

Any others that I have overlooked?

You are on the right track . Pick one and go with it. A lot of value in using one gun all the time.

I think a good IDPA legal 9mm or 40 would be good for pretty much every event, but only Ideal for maybe 1. I shoot a 6" 40 2011 and I run it in Steel challenge, tactical matches, outlaw, 3 gun, USPSA limited (or open), but I don't shoot IDPA. If that was important to me, I would go with an IDPA legal version in polymer (block, M&P, XD, whatever fit my hand) and go shoot the heck out of it. Load minor for non-PF matches and load it up for the real deal.

Yeah. I have gun add and the local scene is split pretty much 50/50 between idpa and uspsa so it would be nice to "upgrade" from my CZ shadow to something that shoots major PF that isn't a 1911 or a 2011.

How about a P-09 in 40? I hear CGW has trigger parts.

A previous poster nailed it: XDM 5.25 in .40. I bought one and shot Production .40 minor pf loads and liked it a lot. .40 minor is good stuff. I recently added a mag well and 140mm mag extensions and run major pf loads in Limited and minor pf loads in 3-Gun. I could also use this gun in Limited 10 if I wanted to. When (not if) I get blind enough to want a dot I will add one and run this gun in Open with the longer 170mm extensions. I do not really care that by running .40 S&W I will be giving up a few rounds to the 9mm/.38 super-duper guys or that I am not passing enough gas to properly optimize an ear drum splitting compensator I will not have anyway. Yes, I cannot run single stack or revolver, but can be pretty competitive (as much as I can anyway) with this rig.

the only other consideration I would offer up is consider whether you would want to shoot USPSA Limited or IDPA CDP.

If you wanted to shoot Limited and not CDP, look at the Glcok 35, M&P Pro 40, and XDm 5.25 40

If you would prefer to shoot CDP over LImited, look at the Glock 41, M&P 45, and XDm 5.25 45

If you choose the 45acp, you could shoot IDPA SSP / ESP / CDP and USPSA prod / Lim10 / Limited (but handicapped on capacity)

The CZ97 may be another good option, but I don't know enough about to recommend it.

Edited by Butterpuc

• 2 weeks later...

If only one gun, XDM, Glock, or M&P flavor in 45 caliber. You can compete in all IDPA divisions by changing capacity loaded in mags and shooting minor or major pf. In USPSA you could play production, limited 10, and limited. With limited being only handicap by magazine capacity for a few rounds since it's 45 caliber.