Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 185 gr FMJ SWC TAR

Baer45

I want to try VV N310 with the above bullets but can not find load data in search. I would "guess" based on bullet weight but with N310 being popular, I was hoping someone here could remove that step for me. Another issue I have is: I have been loading these bullets to an OAL of 1.135 which is short and causes feed problems. Can I load this profile longer like I do with 200 gr SWC and have them cycle well in a full size 1911? I can always experiment but hoped someone has been there before me. As a matter of interest I used 5 different brands of magazines and when loaded to Hornady's min OAL only the new Wilson Combat "lifetime" magazine would cycle without a hiccup. Even other versions of Wilson would not...means something... :)

As always, thanks for the help...C

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

That would sound right in load if maybe a little slow. I run my 200 SWC with 4.4 at around 850 fps. OAL of 1.245. The problem is the Hornady profile is different then Remington or any other SWC I have come across. Every time I get away from the old H&G profile, I regret it...

Thanks- c

I am now up to 4.6 gr of N310 loaded long to 1.240. The 185 Hornady wad cutters have a funny profile and I have almost no recoil and clearly is not hot.mhoenady calls for 4.o as the max with This round loaded real short. It is too short to cycle reliably in my 1911 but works fine at 1.240. How high should I take the N-310? Has anyone else used n310 with lots of case space and 185s? I'll have to pull out the chrono, but I can tell 4.6 isn't close...

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

The load that shot best for me (most accurate for bullseye shooting) was 4.25 grs. VV N310, Fed #150 primer, OAL=1.165" with Winchester match 185 JWC. The Hornadys shoot very close to as good (still x-ring at 50yd capable) and I loaded them to the same length. They always fed perfect in both my Gold Cups and my S&W performance Center 1911 with match barrel.

That load chronographs @ 770-785 FPS in the above pistols with an SD under 10 (Federal match chrono'ed 770FPS in the same pistol)

As a side note: Magazines with parallel feed lips and early release feed wadcutters best :cheers:

Note:I use 14lb. variable wolff recoil springs in my match pistols

Edited by reptoid