Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you using for rain gear at major matches?

shtr3

First, I have done the search for all this and found some but want to know specifically, what are you using for rain gear at major matches when conditions call for it. I have only shot one major match, but this year I'm already signed and paid up for four so far and it will likely be at least one more maybe two. I wanted to be fully prepared before it is time for the first one in Alabama next month. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Ric

Edited by shtr3

I have never liked doing much of anything in rain gear per say. Shower cap for the gun, umbrella between stages along with light rain jacket. Lot's of spare socks, pants and shirts. I shoot in the rain in the same gear I wear on a sunny day I just change it out a lot when time permits.

Frog Toggs

No offense to mwx, but frog togs are probably the worst excuse for rain gear ever invented.

I've owned two sets. Neither lasted a full year. It feels/sounds like your wearing a paper bag, they tear easily, and they really don't pack down very well.

A marmot Precip jacket (~$100) makes a very good stow away rain jacket. Get one, and just keep it with your range gear. This ( mine is actually the "Aegis" model) is really the only rain gear I ever use.

Arcteryx is the best, but it's for when your die if you get wet. However, if you don't mind spending about $500 on a rain jacket for the range then go for it.

If you KNOW before hand you will be in the rain for a match. A big poncho is a pretty good option. Easy on and off, and covers your gun and mags. When I'm actually shooting, I don't wear anything else. Just get wet. Take the jacket off when I get to the line, and put it back on after ICHD&H.

Oh, a hat is essential to keep rain off glasses.

I use my camo'ed hunting rain suit, from MAD DOG. Well, just the top, and only when standing around and resetting. Haven't been ran off a range yet.

When shooting, I don't cover up at all, except for my wide-brim canvas hat. Like Sarge, I pack extra shirts, pants and socks.

The SORD Anorak. I got it for other things but it works perfect for matches. It's light, breathable, compresses to fit into a water bottle pouch, has just enough insulation and has a map pouch on the chest that's perfect for score sheets. It pulls over like a hoodie and has a hoodie hand pocket as well. That could be an upside or downside, I haven't decided yet. How small it compresses is great for keeping in my range or rifle bag.

http://www.sordusa.com/Light-Field-Anorak.html