Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket barrel - problems - issues - and other considerations ....

Gcarr

I have a G34 that I'm trying to get ready for competition. With all of my searches on which barrel to buy ... I find that very very very few people have experience with multiple brands and there is no clear winner. So I thought I would ask the question a different way. Please list negative responses about your experience with the different brands... FTF ??? Customer service??? Anything and everything that would make you pick a different brand next time. Trying to find a clear loser here ... Not a winner!!! Thank you in advance for your replies!!!

Friend tried Lone Wolf and KKM gunsmith fit (gunsmith fit no longer available) and the KKM is more accurate, also sent it back in with a sample round (no primer or powder) and they reamed it to fit perfectly. I'd still go the KKM.

I have a KKM and a Bar-Sto (semi-fit), both for G35's. The KKM needed to be opened up slightly for lead bullets, the Bar-Sto was fine as bought. The KKM ran reliably in both guns, the Bar-Sto only runs completely reliably in one (it is a tighter fit). KKM opened up the barrel at no charge. No experience with Bar-Sto service.

As far as I can tell, both shoot about the same, and I am happy with both. I keep the Bar-Sto in the gun that runs it well, and the KKM in the other.

my barsto barrel took me about 6 months to get. semi fit. chamber is the tightest of my 9mm guns. i noticed better accuracy at distance with the barsto. never have had reason to call customer service. shoot 147 plated and 125 lead out of it. installed in a gen3 glock 34.

i won the barrel at a shoot, so i didn't spend my own money for it.

I guess I left this part. Although I know many people shoot lead in a stock barrel and it works for them... I do not care for doing it. Barrels are cheap enough to not have to deal or worry about it. My partner and I will start of with 124gr (because he already has that mold) at approximate 130pf. Chamber sizing and cool stuff like that are in future threads ... Don't want to run of topic here. I just was thinking that if I could not find a thread that convinced me as to which barrel to buy ... I might be able to be convinced which one not to buy... Hopefully making this a easier decision.

I guess I left this part. Although I know many people shoot lead in a stock barrel and it works for them... I do not care for doing it.

Gotcha - yeah for shooting lead I'd switch barrels as well. Consider coated bullets from Bayou and others though as many people shoot them through the stock barrel.

I guess I left this part. Although I know many people shoot lead in a stock barrel and it works for them... I do not care for doing it. Barrels are cheap enough to not have to deal or worry about it. My partner and I will start of with 124gr (because he already has that mold) at approximate 130pf. Chamber sizing and cool stuff like that are in future threads ... Don't want to run of topic here. I just was thinking that if I could not find a thread that convinced me as to which barrel to buy ... I might be able to be convinced which one not to buy... Hopefully making this a easier decision.

Just a thought......

I had rather be called Friend , Buddy , or maybe Expert Advisor. The term Partner could be mistaken for ..................................................................................

Just a thought......

I had rather be called Friend , Buddy , or maybe Expert Advisor. The term Partner could be mistaken for ..................................................................................

I like KKM no complaints on others. I thought the same thing about the partner thing.

Edited by JBP55

Just a thought......

So what if he is? That make him less of a shooter? I thought the same thing when he said partner but that's his business, or God forbid he's a she.... then you'd be removing your foot from your mouth. Douchebag...

I have used KKM and BarSto. In my experience the KKM chamber was tighter caused me issues with anything that would be snug in a chamber checker.

The BarSto was the oversized gunsmith fit one. It was very easy to fit with a little bit of work with a file and it was amazing how much it effectively improved the slide to frame play on my 34. The chamber was tight but not too tight like the KKM. I only run it in one gun but it has been very reliable.

Given the choice again I wouldn't hesitate to take the BarSto over the KKM.

I should mention that the amount of slide to frame play may not necessarily affect accuracy but it can sometime slightly improve the feel of the trigger since the trigger pull pushes upward on the plunger.

My KKM G35 barrel is a little tight on the chamber also so I have to load it a little shorter. Still a very accurate barrel, my Storm lake barrels are not so tight and shoot fine. Both these 40 cal barrels work great on lead bullets.

I been having problems with lead too in my KKM G35 some rounds gauge and some don't......even if they fit the case gauge.

I don't have any experience with the other brands but my G17 and G35 both have LWD barrels. They are at least as accurate as the factory barrels and just as reliable. I had to have the G35 barrel opened up the feed lead, but the 9mm barrel was fine out of the box.

I too am in the market for a new barrel. I've used a Lone Wolf which like most have said is equal to a Stock Glock barrel.

I've always heard good things about the Bar-Sto.

Sounds like from other posters the KKM may have a tight chamber which may cause problems with feeding bullets and lead rounds?

Positive attitude: my KKMs and Storm Lakes have been 100%, w/o needing fitting/smithing.

Negatives: Lone Wolf imports and charges close to the USA Made stuff, which is where I prefer to send my money if I can. Even if LWD charged less than they do now, I'd still support American jobs.

No say: Don't have any time with Bar-Sto or EFKs yet.

In L.E. that valued term "partner" never carried anything negative, and it never will. Being married to a woman for 15 years, I don't really worry about what some bigots might think.

All in all ... I got some good responses to the question. Thanks to everyone for their input. With all of my research I'm thinking KKM, Storm Lake, or BarSto will all be good for my intended use. After learning that the LW is a import ... Ill pass on that one. I accept that regardless of which I may have to have the chamber reemed to my bullet, but that's ok.

And as far as the "partner" thing goes ... You can ask my wife or any of my ex wife's for that matter ... I am as straight as a man can get!!! Guess I watched to many westerns as a kid ... I have always used the word ... Always will! If that offends or makes someone uncomfortable ... Sorry