Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum primers

lineman76273

Not a newbie but a newbie question normally use standard primers but they did not have any they had magnums CCI 550 I am loading 9mm with Tite group and Winchester wsf cast 122 FN,124 RN and 115 RN I can not find the ratio to reduce my powder for using magnum primers. Can someone help

Unless you are on the ragged edge with very hot loads you don't need to worry. Just load up a few and chrono them. Generally you will find very little increase in velocity with the change. Same with switching to SRPs.

A little thread drift, but...

I've seen mention of using magnum or rifle primers to get a more thorough powder burn. Am I remembering that right? What situations or powders would I consider trying magnum or rifle primers as an alternative?

I've seen mention of using magnum or rifle primers to get a more thorough powder burn.

H-110 is a classic example. I usually load everything with standard primers, but with my 454 Casull I was getting 200 fps extreme spreads until I switched to magnum rifle primers.

I've seen mention of using magnum or rifle primers to get a more thorough powder burn.

H-110 is a classic example. I usually load everything with standard primers, but with my 454 Casull I was getting 200 fps extreme spreads until I switched to magnum rifle primers.

Bingo. If you look at the Lyman book, in a number of calibers they will specify magnum or standard primers. .44 Mag is one of them -- slow as hell powders like 2400 and H110 need a bit more spark for consistent burn.

As for substitution with standard primers in situations where they're not necessary, I substitute magnum match for standard match primers in my .45 ACP, and it feels the same to me. However, .45 with Clays is super, super easy to make PF really close to the starting loads, so I don't notice much of a difference. For 9mm I'd definitely want to chrono religiously and work my load up again.