Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST/HP-38 Major

Pinka

Hey guys, just starting to load some .40 and the only powder I have on hand is WST and HP-38, The couple books and data available online looks like they dont recomend much over 900 FPS with these powders.

Does anyone here have a good major load with these or should I wait until I can find a better powder?

What are some better powders??

Thanks for the help

Loading 180gr Xtreme HPs

I would disagree depending on your exact application. What gun are you loading for? Polygonal or standard riffling? Barrel Length? Fully supported chamber? If you wait a little longer here or search around the .40 reloading section here, you will find a lot of people use both of those powders for major loadings. They WILL usually load longer than the standard 1.125" OAL though, that is where the increased velocity capability of the powders comes from.

I load 180 bayous over 4.7 gr WST loaded at 1.180" as a major load for my old 5" SVI. Now that it is re-barreled to 5.4" I load to 4.6gr. I felt like this load is definitely at the upper edge for that powder but HP-38 (same as Win 231) is slower and even safer. It would probably be a very good place for you to start. I would suggest loading to the longest OAL your gun will allow for safety purposes.

As always load at your own risk. Start low and work up slowly... Be safe, good luck!

If you want to go to an even slower burning power I have heard a lot of people like WSF.

Once in a great while I like to shoot my 226 in Limited 10 so I thought I would try major, with a 4.25 inch barrel I think I'm going to be out of luck using those powders for major, I'll just make some minor loads til I can find some better powders.

Still up for some good major powders if anyone is offering advise!

What is the max overall length your chamber and mags can take. Both those powders are perfectly fine for 40 major depending on the OAL. Wst will probably be a little too hot unless you can load long but you should be able to work up a load with the HP38 unless you have to load very short.

I use HP-38 to load major for mid length and long OAL.

I am at 4.8gr @1.185 OAL with a Bayou 180 for a 5" Para I am shooting.

I have loaded the same powder charge @1.140 for a Glock 35 and 22. Out of the 22 with a factory barrel, it makes major but is a bit...snappy.

• 2 weeks later...

WST Major: The only thing i would say about WST is that its reverse temp sensitive so when i shoot and its cool in the morning the load is more harsh but when it warms up in the afternoon it becomes softer. The crappy thing is you dont know when you'll chrono so you have to make sure that even in the afternoon after your rounds have been in the sun that they will still make PF.

STI Edge and Trojan

180 gr X-treme bullet

1.19 OAL

5.1 gr

Win small pistol magnum primer

168 PF

STI Edge

180 plated bullet

1.20 OAL

5.4 gr

CCI SPP

170.2 PF at Area 2

• 2 weeks later...

The temp sensitivity isn't the air temp, it's the temp of the ammo. With WST I artificially heat up the ammo to 110+ degrees then quickly shoot them through the chrono to verify the load is still making major. If the load can still produce a major PF velocity at 110+ degrees then you will be good to go no matter when you get to the chrono during a big match. This is what I do and usually end up with a 170 - 175 PF at the major matches I attend during the hottest summer months.

Temp Sensitive _ I leave the ammo in my trunk the whole day prior to shooting it in the winter. The stuff is cold when I pick it up do I use a thermometer no. read what the dial says on my cell phone and know that the sun is not changing the truck temp at 20-35 Degrees

During spring and summer I leave it in the house and then go to range and let it sit out for an hour or so prior to chrono work.

Does not seem to be a problem from Level 2 and 3 matches that chrono'd from march thru Sept appox 35 to 85 degrees