Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LMOS BCG do I need an enhanced bolt?

dart368

my 3 gun buddy has talked me into buying a little mass bolt carrier. I know I will need to change the buffer but can I use a stock bolt or do I also need to purchase the enhanced bolt from JP?

if not, is there a big difference between a regular bolt and a jp enhanced bolt?

Thanks

I use a JP light carrier, with a DPMS bolt and standard rifle length buffer and spring, and a non adjustable gas block. It may not be the combination of parts for the overall lightest recoil, but it has proven 100% reliable in several thousand rounds.

On my custom build I went all in with the JP LMOS carrier and Syrac adjustable gas block I already had then I added the JP Capture spring system and the Enhanced Bolt. My gunsmith is quite a fan of them (the bolt) more for longevity than anything else. Thus, my total operating system is very much like what you could order from the JP factory on their rifles.

Required to have the bolt? Certainly not. I agree with the idea from above that you'd be better off spending on the adjustable gas block right away. The bolt would be my last purchase. And that's how I approached it in my rifle build over time.

The upper I am looking at has an adjustable gas block but it has a stock BCG and I want to try and upgrade to a LMOS but didn't know if I had to also buy a bolt. Money is tight and I don't even know if can afford the LMOS by itself right now and I saw the enhanced bolt was an extra $135 give or take.

So, I am gathering that it would not make THAT much of a difference stock bolt, versus "JP Enhanced Bolt" if I have an LMOS, stock bolt and a decent compensator?

When you have pros like Bryan using other vendor bolts, I think it's safe to say that it can be the last on your list of upgrades.

I had to buy a net-new bolt for this 18" build so I thought I'd just go crazy and get it. I had to get something, so I went with that. I had a little extra cash on hand at the time. Not so much these days.