Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Startup range

After much talking my brother-in-law and I discussed the possibility of opening a gun range/club. It would include classrooms for FFL classes and othe various courses, but I wanted to pose a question for everyone.

If money were no object what would you want to see in your ideal gun range? Or what would make a successful gun range?

- 1000 yard rifle line

- Golf cart for long distance rifle line use

- Range wide WiFi

- Matches for all shooting disciplines: Cowboy, USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge and any others I've left off

- Electricity at each bay

- A covered shelter at each bay

- Camping area for out of town shooters at big matches

- 20+ pistol bays so you could hold multiple matches at the same time

The design and layout of the range.

I would have it look sort of like a wagon wheel, where the hub would be HQ, and each spoke, however many would be needed, from the hub would go out to the different shooting disciplines where we would have bays and parking. One of the spokes could be a 1000 yard bay all by itself.

If I hit the big lottery, it would be something like that.

If you have established pistol lanes, target carriers that bring targets back to the line are nice. More to get shot up and maintain but never have to take the lane safe.

Also, if it wouldn't be a huge liability thing, I'd love one of my local ranges to have a plate rack with the pull cord to stand them back up from the line.

- 1000 yard rifle line

- Golf cart for long distance rifle line use

- Range wide WiFi

- Matches for all shooting disciplines: Cowboy, USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge and any others I've left off

- Electricity at each bay

- A covered shelter at each bay

- Camping area for out of town shooters at big matches

- 20+ pistol bays so you could hold multiple matches at the same time

I like your list, except for that WiFi thing. I have seen way too many people setting on their ass, texting away, when they should be helping reset and paste. If I were building a range, there would be a no phone / no pad policy.

My phone stays in the car ;)

Edited by Reshoot

If money were no object what would you want to see in your ideal gun range? Or what would make a successful gun range?

Money is ALWAYS an object.... not to mention gov't regulations, ie., zoning, noise, environmental codes. You've got to start with the basics before you get to the wishing stage. Successful gun ranges can only be successful if they get built.

Understood, but the purpose of this thread was to give me insight to what people want or "need". We have a designated location and I am currently tryin to create a budget, but I want to make sure I am not missing anything before I formalize any plans. So for the purpose of this question money is no object.

I like your list, except for that WiFi thing. I have seen way too many people setting on their ass, texting away, when they should be helping reset and paste. If I were building a range, there would be a no phone / no pad policy.

WiFi would be for tablet-based scoring purposes not surfing when you should be shooting or pasting.

1. Drainage, it sucks to setup a major match to have to shoot it in a pool of water or mud.

Bays varied in size. Some deep some wide. Small Clays/Trap/Skeet area. While a 1000 yard range is nice multiple 300 may get more use.

Plate racks or steel challenge type steel left setup for member use.

Power to at least some portion of the range. It is nice to have for build projects. Running water, toilets are nice too. If running water is out of the budget a nice outhouse beats the crap out of porta john.

WIFI is nice for practiscore, but it does not have to connect to the internet and really not needed to be permanent.

Covered areas next to bays are nice.

Edited by ziebart

A bay base of whatever Robert Porter at the Double Tap Ranch laid down. It can rain the day before the match and still have no mud. Drainage is also key.

All other items I would want have been covered.

Lee

I would be willing to pay more in membership dues for dedicated practice bays for action shooters. Nothing more frustrating than setting up multiple targets for a drill, and then having to take them down because ma and pa Kettle show up and want to shoot static targets with those stupid Wal-Mart stick on targets from behind the tables.

Most important than anything else is a properly designed range for good water drainage. We see it all the time; people spend the money to build a nice range, and it pretty much becomes useless after a good rain.

A place to wash up after handling ammo and guns. Flush toilets. Even if it is the portable kind.

Dedicated Action shooter bays.

Steel available for practice at the bays

1000 yard bay could also have long range steel set up in one bay like Pala.

Weekly 3 gun matches.