Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Machine timing ?

Have had a commercial loader who uses several 1050 machines tell me that most problems that people experience with Dillon machines is due to improper machine "timing".

Have an idea of what "timing" is on an automobile engine.

What is "timing" on a Dillon reloading machine ?

Well, on the XL 650, below the shell-plate about the stage is a rotary cam that advances the shell plate. There is a dog it runs on, and you can fiddle with that until the throw is just right, and the detent ball snaps in at the perfect resting point.

Too short or long, that detent ball popping in will advance or retard the shell plate rotation. That ball shouldn't do anything other than hold the properly indexed position.

That is a major contributor to powder spillage due to the snap of the shell plate. The others are excessive spring tension as seen commonly on the XL 650... and the weight of the detent ball which I replaced in mine with a phenolic.

Someday... I will have a 1050 too.

I bet this is the answer to your question, even though I am on a different machine.

My best guess.

Mark

Have had a commercial loader who uses several 1050 machines tell me that most problems that people experience with Dillon machines is due to improper machine "timing".

Why don't you ask him what he meant and let us know what he says?

WillM... "Why don't you ask him what he meant and let us know what he says ?"

According to the commercial loader using Dillons...

"The timing is a big issue on the 650/550 series. The 1050 isn't a problem because of the pins that go through the shell plate and line up the plate. On the 650/550 they don't have the pins.

"The indicator of bad timing is crunching brass on the powder charging stage.

"To adjust it you have to take off the shell plate and adjust the whole assembly on the shaft. You loosen a bolt and adjust the timing either way as needed.

"Once you time it, it stays pretty well timed. 650 that has had over 65,000 rounds through it and has held the adjustment. The more you push the machine, the more timing is critical.

"I find that Dillon's "factory adjusted" has a lot to be desired."

Edited by Hammer1

Never had a problem with the 550 "timing" as long as it doesnt get dirty.

Same on the 1050. Only adjustment on the 1050 is the little screw(thats not labeled on ANY diagram) to limit how far the advance pawl can push the shell plate. Besides that, no other timing adjustments can be made from what I can tell(and ive had my machine torn down 100% apart).

Ive never run a 650, but doesnt dillon have a tool to hold everything in place to "set" the timing?

After 20 plus years of running my 550B my left thumb automatically calibrates the shell plate timing each time I load. Don't even have to think about it. ; ) The Dillion timing issue as I understand it is sometimes my right hand pulling the handle gets ahead of my left holding the bullet and I do not get out of the way before almost getting mashed fingers. Maybe I need to call Dillion Customer Service about this issue?

Interesting. I've seen mention (on this forum) of a tool available from Dillon to "re-time" the 550 or 650 can't remember which, but have never experienced an out of time issue with either my 550 or 1050 after about three years of use. Don't have a 650 but have had a SL900 which is based on the 650 for almost 15 years and haven't experienced it there either. Thanks for the heads up on what to look out for.

I have an issue on my 650 that I'm not sure how to fix. My primer punch pin is not centered in the shell plate (45acp). I used the Dillon alignment procedure and the platform is aligned properly per the instructions. When I put the priming assembly back on, the primer punch pin is perfectly centered in the primer disk hole. But, when the shell plate indexes on the up stroke of the handle the shell plate stops such that the edge of the primer just barely clears the edge of the shell plate. It's like it needs to go just a few thousands further clockwise. It's not always a problem but sometimes the primer will catch on the edge of the case primer pocket and has flipped primers more than once. There is no binding in the shell plate or anything like that. I've been loading on this press for about 15 years but until about 4 months ago all I loaded on it was 223. I'm going to change it over to 9mm and see if I have the same problem on that shell plate. Maybe I just need to replace the indexing parts? Any ideas anyone?

Edited by flyingrhino

flyingrhino,

You adjust the steel arrow-shaped cam bolted to the frame, on the left side of the shaft. This is the cam that the ring-indexer engages to rotate the shellplate.The two bolt holes in this cam are slotted. Adjust the cam towards the back of your bench to rotate the shellplate further clockwise. Adjust the cam towards you to reduce the degree of rotation. We have a widget to make this adjustment easier. Phone or email us for one. Please include your address if you email us.

flyingrhino,

You adjust the steel arrow-shaped cam bolted to the frame, on the left side of the shaft. This is the cam that the ring-indexer engages to rotate the shellplate.The two bolt holes in this cam are slotted. Adjust the cam towards the back of your bench to rotate the shellplate further clockwise. Adjust the cam towards you to reduce the degree of rotation. We have a widget to make this adjustment easier. Phone or email us for one. Please include your address if you email us.

I was pretty sure that was the adjustment but when I loosened the two socket head cap screws it didn't move. I did this after I realligned the platform. I figured they would have been slotted but didn't appear to be. I'll check when I get home tonight. I'd hate for you guys to have to send me a widget. It looks like a simple adjustment. Do I really need one?