Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Luth-AR stock

amccallister

I had not heard of it, but I like the concept. It looks like it is even more adjustable than the PRS and should be lighter. One can even remove the comb all together and save even more weight. It also looks as though it could go short enough to compensate for the additional length of pull in most 308's. I'd be interested in seeing one in person to see how sturdy if feels but it looks like a cool product.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so here are my thoughts on this stock.

The fit and finish on this thing is really good. It looks as good as anything Magpul puts out. It is very light weight, as it is made almost entirely from glass filled nylon. There is very little metal in it, basically just the hardware for adjustments. That being said it feels sturdy, I don't think durability will be an issue.

The cheekpiece is adjustable vertically (of course) and also horizontally, which I thought was pretty interesting. The basic adjustments on both the cheek piece and butt pad are tool free via knobs on the right side, and additional adjustments can be made with an Allen key, which is included (actually attached to the stock in a very secure clip). CJW is correct, there is no cast adjustment.

I really like the width of the cheek piece, it's much wider than the one on the PRS and allows for a good cheek weld. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the cheek piece only attaches on one side of the stock and wraps around the comb, which allows some flex if you grab it and twist. I didn't find it noticeable when shouldering it fast from port arms, only when I actually grab the cheek piece.

Overall I think this is a viable option for a serious 3-gun rifle, particularly if weight is an issue. I like it at least as well as my PRS, and it's way lighter. Here are some pictures comparing the two.post-38966-0-19655500-1392777315_thumb.jpost-38966-0-83257300-1392777362_thumb.j

amccallister, do you run offset irons on your rifle? Once you set the cheek piece up for your normal strong-side mount to scope, I would be curious to know whether you could easily roll to offset irons or get a scope sight picture on the weak-side shoulder. My previous (admittedly limited) experience with cheek pieces has suggested that both of those applications get a little more difficult with a riser in place.

Thanks!

amccallister, do you run offset irons on your rifle? Once you set the cheek piece up for your normal strong-side mount to scope, I would be curious to know whether you could easily roll to offset irons or get a scope sight picture on the weak-side shoulder. My previous (admittedly limited) experience with cheek pieces has suggested that both of those applications get a little more difficult with a riser in place.

Thanks!

I've never tried offset irons. I did try switching to my left shoulder today and didn't have any problems.

zachvu: look at the TacMod stock. I have short arms and it adjusts far enough down for me. Cheekpiece and butt plate that can be rotated, adjusted for length. Not cheap. Designed by the AMU guys and sold by the same group that sells their Sierra 7 bipod. Both products used by Daniel Horner and Tyler Payne to win the Army Sniper Challenge. Brownells carries the Sierra 7, we haven't decided on the stock yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I even like the way the bottom is nice and flat so you could use it in a PRS type application. Looks like it would ride a bag pretty good or work with a soft bag. I have a PRS on my 308 and it has a little cover on the bottom for the rail, and it is always sliding off and is a pain in the butt. One day I'm going to lose it and then I'll have a bare pic rail to ride a bag with, which will just plain stink. You will have to keep us updated as you use this thing some and let us know how it does. Very interesting concept there.