Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quality Control since the ammo shortage ?

It would not be unusual for any manufacturer to have quality control problems during a period of extremely high demand and growing pains.

So this question is not a complaint or criticism.

Just a simple question.

Has Dillon Precision experienced quality control issues during the past year or so due to the extremely high demand for their great products ?

If so, have these QC problems been centered around some products more than others ?

While I have personally seen poor quality ammunition and other products during this time, I have not found a single out of spec or poor QC part from Dillon. Not saying it's out of the question. Just saying that my stuff has been right. As it always arrives that way :)

I just went from a Rock Chucker to a 1050 my first progressive without hardly a hiccup.

Ordered the powder check the inside of the die had really rough machining marks to where

when the alarm pushed in it would hang up on the ridges.Took some 400 grit sandpaper to it

and polished it up now it works great.I have to say I am really happy with the new press.

I have run over 2000 mixed headstamp cases through it with only a couple of smeared primers,

increased the swage slightly now it runs beautiful.

I received a Dillon Super 1050 from Graf's that was supposedly "set up" from the factory. The primer system was a train wreck. Both the primer seating depth and swager were no where near close to what they needed to be.

It wasn't a big deal once I figured out the issues, but it took me a hot minute to get things working right.

The only problem that I have had is the decapping pin on my Dillon .40 die was deformed. I don't know if Dillon makes these or has an outside vendor do it but I had two of them replaced and when I called Dillon the gentleman went to the bin they were in and he found several that were deformed. No big deal just time waiting on new part. Other than that I have had no issues and I bought in the last year.

I ordered a new 550B primer system that had problems. I had to remove material and polish the inside of the bracket that holds it to the machine (where the movable primer carrier piece goes through). When they tapped the threads in, it expanded the aluminum making the tolerance too tight. It was a simple fix that only took 30 minutes or so, but kind of annoying. I am sure that dillon would have replaced it no problem, but I did not want to wait.