Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac Irons / Limited Division

Not sure why more matches don't paint the targets black and put white backers behind them. You don't have to pain nearly as much this way if at all since black stays black a lot longer. But you need a baker.

Pat

Pat, if I'm not mistaken, you like to shoot Open pistol. How about all the steel gets painted red? Black sight on a black target even with a backer isn't very good.

I thought Iron guys used small fiber optics in the front sights?

Pat

Some do. I think most of us use skinny front posts. Even the thinnest fiber sights are still too thick for my taste.

Hurley

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Piatt used to use a fiber front. I shot Kurt's spare rifle at a class, that had a skinny front. Others use globe sights, which I don't think have a fiber available, the hood would negate it by keeping the light out. I think Pat Kelly uses a black sight. My M1A has a N.M. front. I like the wider sight, as I can see it better and for me it's easier to hold elevation.

If they were impossible, or invisible nobody would hit them.

When some hit them and others don't, they were just more difficult for some than others. Admittedly some variables, such as conditions, may be different from shooter to shooter.

Brian,

You should have been on FNH's Stage 5 at 7:00 AM last year. The skinny sammies were damn near invisible. So, you can't even see the targets, and the sun is directly in your eyes, but the shooters that shoot at 3:00 PM have the targets front lit and easy to see, is just peachy? Factors like the fog and wind can't be controlled.

I once I once had a match director ask me if one of his rile stages was to hard as over 80 percent of all competitors timed out. I went through the stuff we have been talking about here, and his reply was well I was able to shoot it on 175 (180 time out) so it couldn't be that. I mentioned that he put all the targets out and knew where they were and they were painted for him ( so he could see them when they were put out) and now they were gray and deep in shadows etc. You see the only squads that did somewhat ok got to shoot it between 12:30 and 2:00 pm. The rest or the time a majority of targets were in deep shadows, you couldn't even see them with a scope! The final conclusion was there were a lot of poor shooters signed up that year, cause the stage was fine.

I once I once had a match director ask me if one of his rile stages was to hard as over 80 percent of all competitors timed out. I went through the stuff we have been talking about here, and his reply was well I was able to shoot it on 175 (180 time out) so it couldn't be that. I mentioned that he put all the targets out and knew where they were and they were painted for him ( so he could see them when they were put out) and now they were gray and deep in shadows etc. You see the only squads that did somewhat ok got to shoot it between 12:30 and 2:00 pm. The rest or the time a majority of targets were in deep shadows, you couldn't even see them with a scope! The final conclusion was there were a lot of poor shooters signed up that year, cause the stage was fine.

I've shot a couple of stages like that, and I too chatted with the MD about the situation...he said it wasn't a problem for him.

I no longer attend that match.

I've shot a couple of stages like that, and I too chatted with the MD about the situation...he said it wasn't a problem for him.

I no longer attend that match.

I remember a conversation just like that. That next year the MD shot irons and then admitted it can suck at certain times. My stage was all shotgun!! :)