Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PractiScore 1.6 for iOS is Available

ZackJones

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh! Okay, initial impressions/observations:

1. What are "Projected" match results? How is "By Division" different from "Projected - By Division"?

2. Under stage results, we have something called "Detailed Review". This is basically a "verify for stats" listing that is currently produced by ezws, and shows for each competitor on the stage, number of a's, b's,...etc, mikes, NS's, proc's, additional penalties, time, hf. For those competitors who have no scores entered yet, their particulars show up as dashes, meaning this is also a way to immediately see who hasn't shot a given stage, similar to the 'missing scoresheets' report in ezws. Nice. It's in alphabetical order. Would be nice if we could sort this report by squad number, which is primarily the way we use the similar report in ezws.

3. Under results, there is something called "activity/classifier report" which we've known for awhile was coming. You put in your club name, club code, and match level, and hit preview. it shows you the upload file that would be generated and uploaded to uspsa. Then you would presumably use the 'share' cmdbutton to export the file to email or dropbox to get it to your computer. Then from your computer, goto uspsa.org and upload the generated file from wherever you put it.

4. Font sizes are massively larger and easier to read, I would imagine even in sunlight on led screens. I'm looking at this on an iPad; don't know what it looks like on an iPhone yet.

More later, maybe. I may have a club that will try this tonight.

Edited by wgnoyes

Looks like projected tries to guess the results when not everyone have been scored for all stages yet.

Competitor 1 has completed stage 2 and 3

Competitor 2 has completed stage 1 and 3

Projected report tries to show how everyone is going.

I think :-)

Edited by fred3400

5. Also no apparent way to upload actual match results to uspsa.org.

6. Stage grouping. Yes, that's nice.

7. Thought there was going to be a "major match" facility to have competitor scores dynamically uploaded to practiscore.com or somewhere else that would forward the scores to the competitors' email addresses so that they would get an email confirmation of their stage performances even before they left the stage, similar to was was at the nationals last year.

Edited by wgnoyes

And while I haven't tested it yet the "Export Match to Another App" option in sync looks like it could be used to push sync apple devices using airdrop and thus not requiring a WIFI hotspot on those parts of the range not covered.

Does require newer iphone/ipad that have the airdrop feature.

Edited by fred3400

ok-- I figured out how to upload activity reports from the IPAD....

download this free app:

http://www.recessionapps.com/iUploader/iUploader.html

Then when you preview the report, open the report in this app.. it will save the file in the app and you open the app go to uspsa.org like you would normally..

when you click the file select then you choose the file you just pulled over via the open with function..

AND boom.. no EZWIN needed for the classifer update.....

Now we still need the feature to push all the scores to USPSA to get the analitics there.. BUT I think those will be improved upon at practiscore.com..

download this free app:

Then when you preview the report, open the report in this app.. it will save the file in the app and you open the app go to uspsa.org like you would normally..

when you click the file select then you choose the file you just pulled over via the open with function..

Now we still need the feature to push all the scores to USPSA to get the analitics there.. BUT I think those will be improved upon at practiscore.com..

Well, you're not avoiding having to use ezws to upload, as you never did use ezws for the actual upload process. You just went to the website, pointed at the activity credits file on your computer, and uploaded that. What you're doing here is avoiding having to use a real computer. Me, I'm still going to want to get a copy of the match .psc file over to my computer for backup purposes, so I might as well bring the activity credits upload file over as well and just do a normal upload. Now does this other app allow you to do an on-the-fly upload? Sure, but again, I want my archival backups.

I think I'll still be registering folks in ezws and bringing them over to ps. PS STILL can't match ezwinscore's superior drag-and-drop squadding interface. And even with a bluetooth keyboard, having to constantly come off the keyboard and poke the screen, then go back to the keyboard, repeat as necessary, is a pain. (Some of you all complain about ever having to use a mouse, going back and forth from screen to keyboard is my complaint.) Also, the new roller controls (used for putting in things like division, class, power factor, squad, etc) flies up from the bottom but is so small and understated compared to the larger fonts of everything else as to be difficult to manipulate. Can we restore the previous appearance of these controls?

Very nice. I like that there are no longer two 'tabs' on the main screen. Still cheching out all the new goodies.

Yes, that is terrific. Until we can get the ability to push updates from a master device to controlled stage devices, this will help quite a bit.

Quick tip - if you're setting up a special classifier match do it on an Android device and then sync to iOS device (even if iOS is your master). Reason begin - setting up classifier stages on Android is so much easier than on an iOS device.

I define my matches on shootnscoreit.com and/or ezws. I don't see that I'm ever going to be using ps as a standalone system. There's just so much more flexibility I have on a real computer during the registration process, whether for a monthly match or a months-long major match registration exercise, that doesn't exist in practiscore.

I define my matches on shootnscoreit.com and/or ezws. I don't see that I'm ever going to be using ps as a standalone system. There's just so much more flexibility I have on a real computer during the registration process, whether for a monthly match or a months-long major match registration exercise, that doesn't exist in practiscore.

Unless you are using the clubs.practiscore.com site for online registration. Then you can pull straight into the device of your choice using a CSV.

Although currently, I use the same method as you bill, register/define stages in EZ win.

Quick, slightly unrelated question: do you know if the rootnscoreit package installs dropbox on the nooks?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, dropbox is indeed included in rootnscoreit. We've found that dropbox is the quickest and most efficient way to upgrade a lot of nooks in a small amount of time to the latest good release.

I've tried clubs.practiscore.com before. For months it just simply blew up, but it was in development so that was okay. My recent foray into it had me coming away thinking it was too obtuse and/or difficult to use. Maybe I'll look at it again.

Thanks bill.

I have dropbox on all my nooks, but will need to pick up a few more for some upcoming major matches.

It took me awhile to find an older .apk for dropbox that would install on the nooks. One of the latest versions wouldn't install for me for some reason or another.

I am running a state IDPA match using the clubs website.

So far, no major problems. We are using the integrated payment functionality thru Stripe and it works great.

I have had a few reports of squadding emails that went straight to spam folders, but other than that, so far so good.

Side note: how many nooks do you keep as spares for a major?

I have an upcoming match, probably 9 stages that we will electronicly score. I think after picking up a few more, I will have 12 nooks for stage scoring. I will also have my note tablet, android phone, and 1 iPod touch to collect scores.

Steve

We've only used them here in the GA State Championship and the AL Sectional, and between South River, Cherokee, Riverbend, E. AL, and a couple of indoor clubs, we've got a total fleet of I think around 3 dozen of these things or more. For every stage in progress, I've at least one backup primed and standing by, ready to go. Our state match runs half-day schedules on squads, that is, shoot the entire match in a half day. Everything gets swapped out at the start of the next squad schedule. The master devices are all iPads; we want the larger screen for those as well as the known stability and added features of the iOS version of PS.

Yes, dropbox is indeed included in rootnscoreit. We've found that dropbox is the quickest and most efficient way to upgrade a lot of nooks in a small amount of time to the latest good release.

I've tried clubs.practiscore.com before. For months it just simply blew up, but it was in development so that was okay. My recent foray into it had me coming away thinking it was too obtuse and/or difficult to use. Maybe I'll look at it again.

I don't recall feedback on clubs.practiscore.com, so if you have some,send it along, now is a good time.

I can't really imagine a simpler way of running long term registration and match business needs. I and 20 or so test clubs have been using it for quite a few big matches and small. But I'm open, I may have missed it, but we can't fix what we don't know about. Just introduced a new club to it Friday, for a big summer match, and they picked it up right away.

On Android and stability...no idea here either. When a stability issue is found or reported, we fix it, immediately. And because Android can be updated quickly, users get it fast. That's different than new features, or iOS vs Android features, which I will let differ to a small amount, or I may not prioritize as some would, but anything affecting a match accurate result or fast result is treated like an emergency. It's quite rare though.

So if something is unstable, share, or update. (-:

Ken N.

Well, maybe it's a matter of getting used to it, but it seems very unintuitive. (Clubs.practiscore.com)

I had to give up on my gmail-based practiscore account and create another one for South River before I could create a match.

Then I created a match, then had to create a registration form. Can't there just be a canned registration form based on selected match type? Can I carry that registration form from match to match, or do I have to create it every time? (No, apparently I have to create it every time; that's very inconvenient.)

I checked a box for squadding. But the resulting registration form doesn't have anything on there about squadding. Instead the confirmation email that the competitor hopefully gets has a link to squadding meaning they have to go right back to the website to squad. I think registration needs to be a one-stop operation for the customer; you register and squad at the same time. It's possible a customer's confirmation email will go into a spam filter and they'll never know they have to come back to squad.

It also says a USPSA membership is required to participate. That's not correct, we take anybody.

Do I have to individually approve every shooter who registers for a match? Can there be a feature to auto-approve instead or in addition?

Can there be a feature to clone a new match from an old one? That would obviate a lot of this repeated setup exercise. shootnscoreit.com already has that.

From the customer standpoint, can there we a way to search for a club's matches?

I'll PM about android.

Thanks for all you do.

Edited by wgnoyes

download this free app:

Well, you're not avoiding having to use ezws to upload, as you never did use ezws for the actual upload process. You just went to the website, pointed at the activity credits file on your computer, and uploaded that. What you're doing here is avoiding having to use a real computer. Me, I'm still going to want to get a copy of the match .psc file over to my computer for backup purposes, so I might as well bring the activity credits upload file over as well and just do a normal upload. Now does this other app allow you to do an on-the-fly upload? Sure, but again, I want my archival backups.

I think I'll still be registering folks in ezws and bringing them over to ps. PS STILL can't match ezwinscore's superior drag-and-drop squadding interface. And even with a bluetooth keyboard, having to constantly come off the keyboard and poke the screen, then go back to the keyboard, repeat as necessary, is a pain. (Some of you all complain about ever having to use a mouse, going back and forth from screen to keyboard is my complaint.) Also, the new roller controls (used for putting in things like division, class, power factor, squad, etc) flies up from the bottom but is so small and understated compared to the larger fonts of everything else as to be difficult to manipulate. Can we restore the previous appearance of these controls?

Squadding...

Testing some big changes in this on the iOS version. Do you have a spare iOS device we can test flight a test version to?

I guess I'll have to restart the effort on the sign-up system I was working on. I'm going to call it PractiShootDirectorSignup.

Instead tell us how to make clubs.practiscore.com to your liking.... or... donate some engineering time to it (-:

And while I haven't tested it yet the "Export Match to Another App" option in sync looks like it could be used to push sync apple devices using airdrop and thus not requiring a WIFI hotspot on those parts of the range not covered.

Does require newer iphone/ipad that have the airdrop feature.

Be careful a PSC file exported represents a complete match to PS, it only merges when synching, on an open it overwrites. Now synching could be done here, as an option, but it isn't yet.

As a work around, do the open on a spare device, then synch it in as normal.