Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell.me about trojan .40

chanman

Think I want a trojan in .40. I have a ton of brass.

So im trying to get some insight as to set one up.

Mags?

Bullet profiles?

Change any springs?

Any problems I can expect to see.

Shooting maj in s.s btw.

I have an older one. (10 years)

mags: 7 McCormick 10mm and 7 metalform .40 (they work)

profiles: Montana Gold 180gr (.135 oal) flat nose

springs: factory

problems: My extractor needed proper tensioning, and my mag catch "tweaked" to sit higher for better feeding. (I hear that's not an issue anymore.)

You will love it, shoots soft and flat @ 170 pf.

Just purchased one from Brazos. Had Bob ream the barrel to accept the longer profile ammunition (The same as my limited gun. 1.180). In addition I had Bob do a trigger job, ambi safety and steel main housing with mag well. It weighs 42.3 oz.

So far has fed everything I have ran through it. Montana Gold, Berrys, Frontier, Bear Creek etc

I purchased the Corey Mags from Tripp. They run like a charm.

As rack&roll mentioned at 170 pf it shoots flat

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Thats what im looking for is a Flat shooter. Havent messed with .40 yet so I was just curious if it was going to be recomended to change main/recoil springs when you get to that 170pf area. I used to put flat bottom f.p stops on my .45's to make them feel a little flatter. Im trying to buy evetything in one pop so to speak.

Trojan 40 + Tripp Corey mags is a tough combo to beat. Mine runs great with a 12 lb recoil spring and a 17 lb main spring. My go to load is 5.0 grains of wst under a 180 grain xtreme plated RN bullet at 1.185. The only issue I have run into so far is mine has a VERY tight chamber, most cast or coated bullets won't work and I have chamber check all my ammo for it.

Trojan 40 + Tripp Corey mags is a tough combo to beat. Mine runs great with a 12 lb recoil spring and a 17 lb main spring. My go to load is 5.0 grains of wst under a 180 grain xtreme plated RN bullet at 1.185. The only issue I have run into so far is mine has a VERY tight chamber, most cast or coated bullets won't work and I have chamber check all my ammo for it.

Thanks for the input, did you have to ream the chamber to load that long?

Im buying a new trojan and ive heard the older ones had short chambers.

Ive seen three diffrent generations of trojans I guess.

1- big "Trojan" stamped on side

2- big "Trojan" with horse head

3-Small "Trojan" right above slide stop.

Am I correct in my findings?

I bought mine 2.5years ago and it has the big "Trojan" stamped on the slide but has shot 100% since I bought it. I've loaded MG 180gr fp and 165gr hp out to 1.196 and have never had an issue with chambering the rounds. I use the tripp corey mags as well.

The only modification that I did have to do was to reprofile the slide stop so the longer bullets won't hang up or lock open the slide. And that is due to reloading longer bullets, not a fault of the gun.

I got mine used but completely stock. I've never tried to see when it was built at sti so I don't know what generation it would be. I didn't have to ream the barrel to load that long, actually I can load the xtreme 180 round nose bullets out to about 1.230 before it touches the lands.

I bought mine cheap from a guy that was trying to run factory ammo out of some cheap no name 40 mags. I tried those out when I first got it and couldn't get through 3-4 rounds without a stoppage. With the Tripp Corey mags it will run almost any length ammo but 1.185 seems to be where it will cycle the smoothest. I'm my opinion the magazine is probably the most important part to a good running 40 cal 1911

Edited by DRichardson

I bought my Trojan in the spring of 2009. It doesn't have the Horse head, but a friend who bought one shortly before I did has it. I think they phased out the horse head sometime late 2008 or early 2009 but still came with the big Trojan roll mark.

The small Trojan roll mark was something STI did in 2013 in response to customer feedback.

So I guess you can kind of date a Trojan +/- a year or so by the roll marks...

Several members at my club recommend Virgil Tripp to work on the STI .40s' to get them working really good.

This.

Virgil has done some internal work and also cut back/crowned the barrel. Runs flawlessly. Use Tripp Corey mags, load long and you are set...by far my favorite gun in my collection.

Tripp sells mags that are legal USPSA single stack length and hold 10 rounds, which opens the possibility of shooting major or minor with a .40 Trojan. Anybody use the "system" mags that hold 10 rounds that can comment about how reliable the Trojan runs with the 10 round mags?

I have the 10mm system mags but I use the hybrid follower which cuts the capacity from 10 to 9. Although I use the hybrid follower the mags have run 100% in my Trojan 40. When I talked to them on the phone they said that the hybrid follower is a little more reliable than the metal one used to get 10. He did say that if I wanted to run the gun in L10 or minor that all I had to do was change out my hybrid follower for the metal one.