Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check Weights

Smitty79

I am within days/weeks of my first reloading. I ordered the complete Dillon 550 set up from Brian Enos. Elsewhere in this forum, I've seen comments about using check weights on electronic scales. BE doesn't include that in his package. I expect I need them. I will be loading 9mm, so a 4 grain check weight and a 40 grain check weight would calibrate things close to where I will weigh. (I am expecting to load to 3.9 or 4 grains of powder, though I will start lower)

I think I know the answer, but do I need these? If so, which ones should I get?

first purchase, a good notebook and keep meticulous notes on every reloading session then a good set of check weights

Always good to verify from time to time Lyman makes an excellent set,use them before load workup

keeping in mind that if you recalibrate the scale later it will change the load data you may already have worked up

the other option is to accept the scale as it is and work up the loads for your ammo with only that scale or use some bullets and casings weighed on a known accurate scale as "poor mans check weights" I once used my Titanium wedding ring as a check weight

John

I have RCBS check weights and used them fairly often with a balance beam type scale, not so much with the digital scales.

Been using digital type scales the past few years and hardly use the check weight set any longer.

I use an aluminum power pan and from weighing it on several scales, and a lab grade scale, I know it weighs exactly 147.3gr. So, when I fire up a digital scale I'll let it sit a few minutes to stabalize, zero it out, and then put the powder pan on and verify that I'm seeing 147.3 +/- 0.1gr, then tare it out to zero. This seems to be an easy prior-to-use check method and I have gotten consistant results using it.

Also, might want to read about how others are setting up the powder throws. The best way I have found is to throw five charges and take the average. (i.e. if you want a 4.0 gr charge, throw five and adjust until you get a consistant 20.0 +/- 0.1 gr reading). Some throw ten charges and take that average, but the point is that by taking the average of a number of throws you are 1) effectively decreasing your weight-per-throw measuring error, and 2) measuring weights that are heavier which reduces scale error from trying to read weights that are at the bottom of its range. After initial set up I'll occasionally check the charge weight from a single throw just to make sure things are consistant, but for initial set up I always use the average of multiple throws.

In my experience, coins are very consistent as to weight. I used to have a "certified" dime but don't even know where it is anymore. I load by volume and only use a cheap balance beam scale to make sure I haven't made a gross error setting the measure.

Do you have a scale already? What type of scale are/will you use. With a balance beam type I really don't think check weights are necessary. You will zero it each time you use it. For an electronic scale they are absolutely required but most should come with check weights.

Congratulations on getting started. Don't get caught up in the minutiae, there is plenty of time to develop OCD as your reloading progresses!