Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nowind0

The Atlas is top notch. Pan, tilt and light. The old standby Harris is also popular and much cheaper/heavier.

I have seen an occasional Annie rail mostly on tubeguns, but no handstops. Your left hand is usually holding on to your rear bag.

Edited by Tom Freeman

Agreed on the Atlas. But it mounts to a rail.

Without drilling/modifying the stock, what's the best adapter to mount it to an FN-SPR A1 which only has the swivel stud to mount to?

You would most likely have modify the stock a little. Have your gunsmith a second screw to hold on to a short chunk of rail. You can always remove the rail and then thread the swivel stud back on.

On my A5 stock I prefer the Atlas, on my Rock Solid I prefer the Harris, the A5 forend tapers and the RS is flat.

As for the rail install, look in the gunsmithing section on Snipers Hide, I did a how to install a BT17 rail.

You guys may want to check out the Long Range Accuracy Bipod. One group discontinued a contract with Atlas to go with this design. He also has a version that can stand up to the abuse of a 50 cal. He has a new version that is mostly carbon fiber and smaller, Not sure if it's on the market yet.

You guys may want to check out the Long Range Accuracy Bipod. One group discontinued a contract with Atlas to go with this design. He also has a version that can stand up to the abuse of a 50 cal. He has a new version that is mostly carbon fiber and smaller, Not sure if it's on the market yet.

$450 a piece? No thanks. My Harris holds the rifle up just fine for a quarter of the price.

$450 a piece? No thanks. My Harris holds the rifle up just fine for a quarter of the price.

That's sort of like saying a sand bag is as good as a custom benchrest. If you are willing to spend 4k on a gun and 2 - 4k on optics what makes you think a 90 dollar bipod would be ok. This is an item for long range shooters That are willing to spend the money on their tools to get the best. Being the best has never been cheap.

Well that might work on people that haven't been doing this for a while but I have been shooting long range for a long time. I spend money where it actually will make a difference and have no problem doing so. I have custom rifles that shoot very accurately with S&B optics on top and the Harris bipod works just fine. I have shot out to 2500 yards with a 408 CheyTac sitting on a Harris bipod. I have been competing in tactical/sniper comps around the country for over a decade. A bipod is not a very technical piece of gear. It holds the rifle up to the proper level and swivels to level it. There is a point of deminishing returns in amount of money spent to do that. Sorry but I don't see $450 worth in that bipod.

Lol I would never use a expensive bipod for 3gun. standard Harris 9 to 13in for 3gun, Everything else Atlas :) 3gun bipods usally get fallen on, caught on doors barrels etc. You'll get mad if you break a harris but you will get furious if you broke an atlas :D

Just forget the bipods. Let's sling up and shoot like men. :bow:

Before anyone gets there panties in a wad, that was what they call humor.

Nothing wrong with knowing how to sling up and shoot. Everyone should know and practice how to do it but it's down the list on methods I would use in long range. Especially the farther I move up off the ground as in sitting, kneeling and finally offhand. But a skill that needs practice.

Michael, haven't been shooting 3 gun as long as some but I have taken that speed has always been a very important part of it. With that the Harris would be the best choice. You can put a piece of 550 cord or strap across the legs which allows you to reach up and grab and pull and have the legs deployed in a second. I use this set up on my long range set up for tactical/sniper matches. Works great.

Thanks to Rob01 and DocMedic for their comments. I'll plan on a Harris set up for 3-gun and be looking at an Atlas for any precision rig I get in the future. I like that concept.

I didn't mean to thread jack here, so I'll go back to passive reading and learning.

so now i'm curious, hornetx, what specifically is better about the "long range accuracy bipod". I looked into it as you suggested and from the scant info i was able to find (mostly from europtics), it appears to be heavier than atlas and harris. the adjustment range isn't better that i can tell. (roughly same length, less cant) It looks like it would take just as long to deploy as an atlas (appreciably longer than a harris). hard to tell from pics, but materials don't appear to be superior. machining doesn't look as nice as the atlas.

i don't get it. unless I'm missing something (which i am prone to do), for even money i'd still take the harris