Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems With New STI

Ed K

Your 3rd problem sounds to me like either the feed ramp wasnt cut right or the barrel isnt linking back like it should.

Hard to say without looking at it. Even if it is polished, if the ramp's angle isnt done right it can cause the rounds to bind.

A couple of my friends load their .40 rounds about .060" long and say they feed better. I've only shot factory ammo in the pistol I built for myself and it feeds fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I suggested to Ed that he send the gun back to STI since they do stand behind the guns. Over the years I have sold both SVI and STI. When I sold SVI the problems were numerous. The guns would not run out of the box. This was due to the fit being so tight and some fine tuning things did not get done. They even told us that the last 5% of tuning needed to be done. I used to go over each gun if I had time and tune them. When I started selling STI I noticed there were less problems and the guns ran better but were not perfect. Most of the things are small fine tuning items. Mostly extractor or magazine issues. There were some issue like mag catches and rear sights that came out bad that STI has dealt with. When I first started with SV i had to tune whole batches of magazines, some would not drop free or the lips were not the right dimension. They got better in time. Brian , the man himself, showed me how to shape the lips of an SV mag to make it work better and I still use those mags today. They have Blue dye all over them and file marks but they work so I am not about to get new ones. STI has had the same problems with mags but in the last year or two the quality control has been alot better. They seem to have completely fixed the drop free issue and the consistency on the feed lip dimension is quite good. I havent sold SV for a couple years so I am not sure whats up with them now.

This isnt just isolated with STI & SVI. I was at the range a few years ago and the guy next to me was shooting his new Kimber. It would not run. Rounds kept nosediving or sticking on the ramp. I asked him if he wanted me to fix it. I took the extractor out and took a little tension off, it didnt miss another beat. I had a local guy who bought a Lexor about 6 months ago and was getting pretty frustrated. He finally called me so I told him to come over and i would look at it. I told him all it needed was the bottom edge of the extractor hook beveled since as the case was coming up under the extractor it was biting into the case rim. He opted to put an Aftec in it. It ran 7 complete mags without a hickup. He was very happy. He continues to be happy.

I have learned in this sport that it is best if you learn how the gun works and how to fine tune things since some parts will and do break eventually, I dont care who makes them. I wish the factory guns would go through that one extra step to make sure these thngs are already done. I know STI and SV are supposed to test fire their guns. Sometimes I wonder. Once you do get it right dont mess with it, if it aint broke dont fix it!

This leads me to say this is why I entered into an agreement with Dan Bedell to build guns that we put are heads together and designed. I have taken into account all the factors pros & cons and risks with associated advantages. I believe we have come up with the ultimate in race guns, both open and limited. I wanted a gun I could stand behind 100% as being the absolute best combination of all thats available. This doesnt mean there still isnt a place for factory guns. Those that understand fine tuning and want an affordable option could benefit from the lower pricing.

Sorry for the long rant. Ed bought the very last Lexor. The Lexor was an exclusive model STI built for Shooters Connection. I now push the Spitfire as the ultimate limted gun. Hopefully STI has dealt with his issues. Ed, if it still needs some tuning and you want to send it to me I will be glad to go over it.

Chuck

Shooters Connection

O.K. Chuck. Here's the post that I told you I'd make.

I got the new mag release from Chris at STI. Works Fine

Filed the slide stop down so that it won't go to slide lock. This seemed to take care of some of the remaining problems.

Installed the best extractor know to man. An AFTEC. I've been running one in my Para. Can't praise them enough.

I tweaked all of my mag feed lips to .397 BIG improvement.

Note: For all the new shooters out there, check your feed lips, or send your mags to Bevin Grams if you can.

I still do have 1 bad mag tube though. Still waiting for Chris at STI to make it right.

Chuck, you're back on my Christmas card list. :D The gun is running smooth

Ed

• 1 year later...

I too have had similar feeding problems.

The mag release problem should have been solved back in April 2005 when it was identified on the forum. I posted a message & pictures when Chris at STI told me of the issue. I thought he said all new guns would have the modified mag catch. I guess yours slipped through.

I thought all my problems were ammo & mag related, so I bought a box of factory 230 and blasted away. Everything seemed to work. That told me it wasn't mag related.

I checked my extractor tension with a Weygand gauge and all was fine.

I was at a local match in PA and one of the guys said he felt so pained to see me having so much trouble shooting. I was using my normal reloads that I have used in every other .45 I have ever owned.

He removed the slide from the gun. Removed the extractor and firing pin and tried to slip some loaded rounds up the breach face. My EDGE .45 had a little too much material left on the ejection port side of the breach face. They wouldn’t all slip in easily. Seems the reloaded rims were just a little to big for the breach face.

A couple strokes of the file by one of the kind shooting folks at a local match and all seems good.

Shot my next match with only a few problems, now seems to be related to my gun being so tight that 150 rounds cause so much junk, I need to clean it.

This is NOW a problem I can deal with. A tight accurate good functioning gun that needs plenty of shooting to break it in.

• 4 months later...
i bought my new 2011 STI Edge for $2,600.. i admit that ther are little problems but a $200 for modifications did the job and till now my 2011 STI Edge is working great with minor jams... you have to modify some parts in order to make your gun work very well...

Did you buy your Edge in the U.S.? If so, you paid $1000 too much for it..............