Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New gun quandary

Jumprun13k

So, I recently got obsessed with USPSA, and have been shooting my CZ75B in Production. I havent started pushing myself any yet, but I will as I get more comfortable. The thing is, I am thinking I would rather run a Limited gun, and then when I can shoot Production as a 2nd gun at local matches.

Here is my issue. What should I get? I cant afford an STI right now. But what I can afford is either a CZ Tactical Sport or a used Para 1640, or I could wait a bit for the new Para 1640. I like the feel of the Para's a little better than the TS, but not enough to swing it completely that way.

Any advice?

I have a Para single stack and love it... As far as the others , I'm not convinced they are worth the 2K and up money and dont see the lower-end ones( STI and the like) as being any better either..So i would say unless your shooting for a GM spot in the US nationals then let your wallet be your guide??? just my $.02 worth

I have had both and would give my vote to the 1640. The TS was a great gun but the Para was easier to get parts for. ie mags, mag bases, holsters and magwell. Plus, if you decided to get an STI down the road, you would already be comfortable with the platform.

IMHO

Doug

I don't ever expect to be super high level shooter. So it really is all about finding that perfect blend of cost and functionality. Would I like to have an STI? Sure. But for my purposes I think it might be overkill.

I can, and do, shoot Limited Minor with the 75. But I'd like to at least have a good gun that shoots Major.

So, if 1640 is the answer I suppose the question is do I wait for the new one? Or go for one used?

I've been holding out for the new 1640 too. But, I wouldn't want to buy one of the first ones. I wouldn't expect it to perform at a competition level right out of the box either. Unless you are patient and don't mind having the Para tuned and tweaked over time to get it like you want it, you'll probably be happier finding a good used STI.

STI holds its value very well; at least the ones I've run across. Deals on used ones are sometimes few and far between.

You could likely have a lot of fun with the CZ 75. Check out Cajon Gun Works. They make some outstanding modifications for B-style CZs that will dramatically improve the double and single stage triggers.

Because of the emphasis on accuracy and need to reload frequently I feel that Production is the best division to improve overall shooting skills.

The CZ also gives you that option to run cocked and locked if you choose to shoot limited minor.

Yeah, my 75 is tuned pretty well with all CGW internals, and a Shadow hammer. And I have a few mags with extended basepads that I have been using for Limited Minor.

I just have that burn for something setup for Limited.

I had a TS...sold it to Sperman. I only sold it to buy another Shadow because I am sticking with Prod for a while. Whenever a make the move to Limited, I will be buying 2 TS's....they are frickin sweet, and CZC customer service is top notch! CZ for LIFE!!!

I am going thru a similar situation, but I already have the P16. Lately I have been running just the para, but I shoot the 75 with SP01 mags. I would run the SP01 i also have, but I ended up with the tactical model(D/A first shot).

I would look around for a gently used P16 Ltd and a bunch of mags. Prices are pretty good right now.

So, a bit of an update. I found a 16-40 Todd Jarrett/USPSA for sale with 6 mags. Just have to send the money out and should have it in the next week or so.

And, i plan on getting one of the new ones as well. So best of both worlds.

• 1 month later...

So, a bit of an update. I found a 16-40 Todd Jarrett/USPSA for sale with 6 mags. Just have to send the money out and should have it in the next week or so.

And, i plan on getting one of the new ones as well. So best of both worlds.

Good to hear.

One thing I've learned when it comes to guns...wait and save money for the one you really like coz you will end up buying it later.

I know you already chose the Para, but I still want to add me 2 cents: I know all the cool kids shoot STIs, but I don't think you're giving up your potential to make GM shooting a TS, not in function, reliability nor in performance. If it fits your hand and you like the ergonomics the TS is a fantastic value: right out of the box you get a sub 2# trigger which is very crisp and an action which runs like a raped ape then with off the shelf pads and followers you get 21 in the mag reloadable. 2011 guys, is there a place to buy reliable 21+1 mags off the shelf? if so, how much?

I know you already chose the Para, but I still want to add me 2 cents: I know all the cool kids shoot STIs, but I don't think you're giving up your potential to make GM shooting a TS, not in function, reliability nor in performance. If it fits your hand and you like the ergonomics the TS is a fantastic value: right out of the box you get a sub 2# trigger which is very crisp and an action which runs like a raped ape then with off the shelf pads and followers you get 21 in the mag reloadable. 2011 guys, is there a place to buy reliable 21+1 mags off the shelf? if so, how much?

Using .40 CAL 140mm STI mag tubes and using Taran Tactical Spring/Follower/4G2 Basepad, I get 20+1 and is SUPER RELIABLE

Using .40 CAL 140mm STI mag tubes and using Taran Tactical Spring/Follower/4G2 Basepad, I get 20+1 and is SUPER RELIABLE

My point exactly :devil:

I can think of no way in which the TS is inferior to a 2011 pistol.

My point exactly :devil:

I can think of no way in which the TS is inferior to a 2011 pistol.

Also remeber that because its a slide in frame design you get a lighter slide without any cutting, save some money there.

However, you cant get the TS (or tanfoglio) with a sight tracker barrel, which sucks and is the only real inferiority

Off the shelf. That's funny. It did make me feel little sick to unbox a new $1,200 gun, order another $400 in parts, and immediately take a dremel to it. I love the results and it's pretty fun doing the work but far from something that average gun owners do.

• 2 weeks later...

21+1 with the new followers. :goof: