Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the optimum or minimum FPS for 147gr 9mm 3 Gun

RedRaider271

New to reloading, just wanted to ask a quick question for perspective. What is the optimum FPS to hit with loading 9mm. I am shooting 3 gun and not concerned with power factor other than other than needing reliability, accuracy, knocking down steel. I have shot loads in the 975fps, 900, 875, 850fps. So far my pistol has fired all with no malfunctions, and I have knocked down heavy poppers with all of the above. I was told to target 925fps out of my pistol, but I am not certain which way to go. I bought some Atlanta Arms 147's and they chrono in the 870's, they shoot really soft and I like them.

I really like shooting the ones in the 875-850fps range as they are really soft and shoot well out of my gun. My main question to all this is there an issue with pressure spikes in the casings, added pressure to my pistol if I consistently shoot the softer loads? I just want to make sure I am being safe, do I need to keep my velocity in the 900 range to avoid those worries. I would appreciate any advice

900, if it's accurate. Accuracy is more important here than velocity.

But, no reason not to attain minor PF, while you're at it - probably

be more accurate abut 900 - 950 fps, anyway.

If you fire 20 across your chrono, NONE of them

should be below 860 fps, to make minor. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

You can go down as far as you need as long as they function reliably (#1), accurate, feels good (not too sluggish), you are good with it on the timer, etc. The only thing I have ever heard about pistol bullets and velocity was the old rule in Steel Challenge that said it had to be going 750 fps to break up safely on impact.

Generally aiming for something a little above minor power factor should give you enough energy to knock down any steel you encounter. As long as it runs reliably and is as accurate as you require, the only other thing that matters is knocking down the steel.

The "pressure spikes" you mention are generally only a problem with certain powders. This can be seen when using powders that are not optimal for your intended application/outcome. No worries as long as you are using a powder suited for what you are trying to accomplish.

I think the OP was referring to the possibility of the rare but not unheard of "detonation" event which has been linked to very small loadings of very fast pistol powders... like below .2grn in a pistol case with powders in the speed range of Bullseye or faster. This is not something most people will have to worry about in that to qualify for "minor" or even to knock down steel you will need more powder than that. Powder manufacturers list both minimums and maximums on the charts for a reason. Just as too much can lead to problems, too little can also, so it pays to not stray too far from listed data for good reasons.