Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting 147s with a Shadow

Nimitz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which bullets? The profile is what matters. 147 Bayous run just fine through mine at 1.135". I don't know how far out I can go, but I know that they still drop free at 1.140". They will shoot high, so you might want to change your front sight. I have a .170 Dawson on mine.

Which bullets? The profile is what matters. 147 Bayous run just fine through mine at 1.135". I don't know how far out I can go, but I know that they still drop free at 1.140". They will shoot high, so you might want to change your front sight. I have a .170 Dawson on mine.

I changed my front sight to Dawson .195 for 147. I had .175 and it shoots high.

Same experience here with 147gr from my Shadow. Had to get a taller front sight from CZCustom. Why does a slower, heavier bullet shoot higher?

Because it stays in the barrel longer so the barrel is pointing higher when the bullet exits.

• 2 weeks later...

My Shadow was POA=POI with wwb. When I started shooting my reloads (147 Montana Golds [with VV N320]), they didn't shoot high or low (which is what folks told me would happen). In my case, they consistently shot 2 inches to the left. I ran a thread and mostly got back a bunch of question marks. Finally, someone mentioned that the ogive (sp?) of the 147 is so different from the 115 that this sort of result is possible.

I guess I was very fortunate; it's a lot easier to loosen the rear sight and move it than it is to change out the front sight. With that minor adjustment, I'm back to POA = POI.

Hmmmm ... When I do the calculation for shooting 2" high at 24 yds I get that the front sight needs to be .015" higher. I'm assuming this would be a similar calc for left /right. So, exactly how did you "move your sight a little" to achieve this precision? I assume you didn't mean you had an adjustable rear?

seems like an awful painful way to precisely line up your sights ... if you like adjusting your sights yourself why not have an adjustable rear sight so you can precisely dial in your POI/POA? For me, I can't afford to have things come out of alignment during/after/before competitions so I want to get my gun sighted in for my current load & forget about it ... I have enough other things to concern myself with other than wondering if my alignment was done correctly or if it has come loose ...