Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Craig N

I have been having issues with my 40 minor Glock load. I was loading OAL between 1.1250- 1.1300 with brass I bought on line and plated and lead bullets. Everything was doing good then I started using range pick up brass and only lead bullets. Started to get several that wouldn't fully chamber or were sticking at ULSC so I got a EWG 7 hole case gauge. My old clays load (before I changed brass source) all gauged just fine but my new loads (e3 load) failed about a 1/3 of the time with bullet in. Those that failed passed about 90% with bullet up.

At yesterday's match I had a couple of stoppages with the KKM barrel so I changed back to my Glock factory barrel and only had 1 sticky round at ULSC but didn't have to bump the slide any to get it into battery. So today I took the ones that failed and took my seating depth down to 1.1175-1.1200 and turned the Lee FCD down a little bit and 2/3s of those round passed the gauge bullet down. The 1/3 of those that failed after the adjusting measure the same OAL and when I measure the case diameter at different places along the length of the brass nothing measures larger than the holes in the gauge.

If I haven't totally confused you all as bad as I'm confused and lost as to why I get some that wont function in the gauge or the barrel when they measure out the same, does anyone have any ideas I can try?

My reloader is an old Lee turrent with Lee U sizer, expander/powder, bullet seating and then Factory crimp die.

Ditch the FCD and see what happens. From what I understand you don't want to run a Udie and FCD together. So you started using a different powder? Is it compressed? Some times a compressed load will grow in length and sometimes it will cause a case to bulge if overdone.

And you can get your chamber opened up for a particular load as well. Probably those lead bullets are too fat for some of the brands of mixed brass you are using. Try to track the problem rounds and see if they are of a particular headstamp. Not all cases have the same case wall thickness and will cause a round to bulge more than others.

Something I do is tumble after loading as lube likes to pick up filth and muck along the way. They might be picking up some goop on the lube causing chambering issues as well.

I religiously use the udie and the FCD die without issue. However I would not recommend using plated or lead with the FCD. It seems to give fits on both function and accuracy for non FMJ style bullets. If you have a large stock of plated and lead just swap back to a regular seat/crimp and you should be fine. I still get rounds that don't pass gage but they still run fine in practice. However with a standard sizer I get lots that don't pass gage and don't run.

i had an insane amount of issue with the u-die, loading loading led...

i found that with range brass where the casing all are worn un evenly, the coke bottle shape of the case made it more likely for the brass to give on what ever size of the wall was the thinnest when seating the bullet.

this would basically make bullets that were slightly crooked, which was not obvious to the necked eye, but created lot's of problems when feeding....

i would try switching your uDie to a normal lee factory resize and decap..

I had problems feeding my G35 (before going to a 2011) with most of the truncated cone 180 bullets, whether FMJ or lead. A friend gave me a couple hundred 185 Precision moly's and feeding issues went away. The profile is a flattened round nose.

A guy on the local state board said it sounded like some of them wasn't getting all the bell outta the case from the flaring. I ordered some brass on line today from Brass Exchange since it is mostly once fired indoor range pick up. When it come in I'm gonna set my seating die up for 1.1200 at the longest and take out the FCD and see if I can get some good results with just the regualr seating/crimping die.

Take the FCD die and remove the guts. Take 20 rounds and push them completely through the FCD before sizing and loading. I will bet you that these 20 rounds will chamber in your gun without a problem loaded to your stated OAL.

This. I just read this here recently. Some guns don't fully support the .40 cases. The sizing die doesn't thanks the bulge out of the base of the case. As I recall, guys were roll sizing the cases. What Bowenbuilt is telling you to do is the equivalent. You'll full length resize the case.

I agree with him, you'll likely see those cases function perfectly. Search the forums. I know this has been gone over more than once. Good luck!