Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA 8-shot Revo -- the first in the nation?

Carmoney

Overall, I believe my little 95-gr. zingers take steel just as well as the heavy bullets loaded to the same P.F.

I hear about this idea that heavy bullets make things fall over better than fast bullets and it bothers me, but kinetic energy is not the same thing as momentum, so maybe it makes sense, i need to sit and do some math to see if the "generally accepted" belief about this has any basis in physics or is just range science...

edit...took 5 minutes and no math needed, impulse(momentum applied over time) and more properly elastic collisions. I haven't done physics in a long time.

I would theorize anyways your 95g zingers do the job in part because they are fully jacketed, yes? So they hold together vs destroying themselves, thereby transferring momentum into the steel to take it down.

Edited by seanc

Dave, I think when the official calibration gun failed to take down those poppers three separate times in a row, that pretty well establishes that it wasn't my load!

Overall, I believe my little 95-gr. zingers take steel just as well as the heavy bullets loaded to the same P.F. I have not done any testing, but I will tell you that I have shot a lot of matches with my 95-gr. 9mms over the past several years (including a bunch of major USPSA matches, Big Dawgs, and Pro-Am matches), and frankly I wouldn't be using that load if it were iffy on steel.

I agree, I'm just pointing out that as angles increase it gets harder to knock down steel. Your loads took them down at various times but left a different one standing which then failed with match ammo. Yet all had been calibrated earlier with that same ammo, probably from a squared up position. 95 and 115 are fairly close with 124 right in there but 95 vs 160 is quite a bit different. There were other Minor PF guys in the squad and they didn't have quite the issue you did, but I'm pretty sure they weren't taking the angle shots either.

Might have to set up some steel and try 124 vs 160 vs 185 at 130 pf and see what happens at sharp angles..

Either way now that you are using a 142 Jacketed Thumper, there's no question about the loads. All said and done bullet weight makes less difference than angle on target.

It seems to me that Revo's are even more inconsistent that autos on velocity. My 6" m28 is quite a bit slower than my 5" 627. I liked the older 007-009 Safariland Holsters for autos better than the CR or 012's. Like the Blade Tech even better than the CR for my Revo's and it will take anything I have.. Mine is set up so it even works with my 6" m28, other than the extra inch of barrel hanging out the end.

I do like the feel of the 160 bayou's over 147 xtremes though, or even the 124/5 jhp's I've tried.

Oh how did you place and how many Revo's were there?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I shot my 627 and a local USPSA match today. It may end up 6 shot friendly at the Nationals but at the club level and at this match the 8 shooter ruled. It was a lot of arrays of 8 that were all hidden away so that they could not be seen anywhere else. I saved a minimum of 7 standing reloads and was able to miss once on a plate rack without it costing a reload. out of 127 shots I fired 120 Alphas and 7 Charlies plus 30 steel. I was able to out shoot my friend that was running his open gun, I could not have done it with a 6 shooter. I think we will see some matches where the 6 can hold it;s own but then there will be matches where an 8 shooter being run in an ICORE frame of mind will kill the 6. Longer, harder shots where the minor scoring can really hurt may help to close the gap between the 2 and with the right stage design the 6 shooter scoring major would come out on top. It's going to be all about stage design deciding which gun can come out on top.

Well I shot my 627 and a local USPSA match today. It may end up 6 shot friendly at the Nationals but at the club level and at this match the 8 shooter ruled. It was a lot of arrays of 8 that were all hidden away so that they could not be seen anywhere else. I saved a minimum of 7 standing reloads and was able to miss once on a plate rack without it costing a reload. out of 127 shots I fired 120 Alphas and 7 Charlies plus 30 steel. I was able to out shoot my friend that was running his open gun, I could not have done it with a 6 shooter. I think we will see some matches where the 6 can hold it;s own but then there will be matches where an 8 shooter being run in an ICORE frame of mind will kill the 6. Longer, harder shots where the minor scoring can really hurt may help to close the gap between the 2 and with the right stage design the 6 shooter scoring major would come out on top. It's going to be all about stage design deciding which gun can come out on top.

Great points Gregg, I found pretty much the exact same thing last weekend. My humble opinion is that depending on stage design and who is setting up the match, it sucks that the 6vs8 will come down to stage design. Everyone will have to bring 2 guns to the matches and see which will work better that day.

Many shooters in Single-Stack Division do that routinely.

Probably more SS shooters simply decide ahead of time which gun sounds more fun to shoot, and they simply stick with that option. For example, I shot SS 1911s throughout most of 2012--most of the time I shot 10-minor, without any big advance analysis of the stages. I didn't worry too much about whether that option was the absolute most competitive--I just knew it would be more fun for me to shoot.

The only match I intend to seriously check out first is Nationals. I would prefer to run my 8-shot rig, but if they make the stages favor 6-major (and they just might), I will run my 625 instead.

Otherwise, I plan on shooting my 627s the rest of the season. Way more fun, at least for me.

"Well I shot my 627 and a local USPSA match today. It may end up 6 shot friendly at the Nationals but at the club level and at this match the 8 shooter ruled"

Which, of course, is where 98% of the revolver shots taken will be shot

I did feel like John Z in that I missed the fun of stage planning to make 6's of of all the arrays of 8. The skill of stage planning was what was appealing about Revo shooting. The shooter that was better at the stage break down and execution came out ahead. The problem is that I am still a competitor and I'll shoot the 8 if that is what is going to win. I'll miss the 6 shooter planning but not so much to make me use a 6 shooter if an 8 is what is going to win. The logistics of traveling to a match by plane and getting 2 guns and enough ammo for both are going to be a little more complicated. I'm looking at making the long drive to the Nationals to make it simpler. I'll give it a year and see how I feel about Revo then. I'll try and keep an open mind about it in the mean time.