Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rio Salado: 3-Gun/Long-Gun Matches In February

Here is what we have in store for you at Rio Salado during February:

3-Gun (Multi-Gun) Match: Saturday February 8th

Registration runs 8am-9:30am, with first shots at 8am. New shooters should come in time to attend the New Shooter Orientation at 8:30am before they shoot. We run this match under IMA rules. To get a feel for what to expect, check out these videos from our previous matches. Our usual format is 3 short-range shotgun and/or rifle stages, plus 1 long-range rifle stage. Bring 150 rounds of rifle ammo, 50 shotgun birdshot (#6 or smaller) and box each of shotgun slugs and buckshot (12ga=00 buck, 20ga=#3 buck). Sometimes we incorporate a few pistol shots into the stages, so a pistol/holster/ammo can be useful, but this is always optional (typically the same targets can be engaged by rifle or shotgun instead).

Tactical .22 Rifle Match: Tuesday February 11th & 25th

Registration opens at 5pm, with first shots shortly thereafter. Location is the Smallbore Range right behind the Activity Center. The rules are simple: it's a straight time match with penalties for misses. Pretty much any .22 rifle is OK - the most popular guns are AR15-clones and Ruger 10/22s. We have two divisions: iron sight and optical sight. Our typical match format is practical run-n-gun style: one "long range" stage out to 100yards, and two shorter range hoser stages (one of them shot twice for 4 stages total). Check out
and this Dillon Blue Press article for a flavor of what we do. This match is more fun than a barrel of monkeys... bring a bulk pack of cheap ammo (if you can find any) and you will leave with a smile a mile wide.

Tactical Shotgun and Pistol Caliber Carbine Match: Thursday February 20th

THE TACTICAL SHOTGUN AND PISTOL CALIBER CARBINE MATCHES HAVE BEEN MOVED TO THE 3RD THURSDAY EACH MONTH. The match is still located on the pistol bays, starting at 4pm with a new shooter orientation shortly thereafter. The match format will be practical scenario-based and similar to what you would encounter at a 3-Gun match, except that you only need to bring one gun - you choose either shotgun or PCC. There will be separate divisions for shotgun (Open, Limited and Pump), centerfire carbine (Optic and Iron) and .22 rimfire carbine (Optic and Iron). Any tactical shotgun suitable for 3-gun competition will work well in this match, or you can shoot a pistol caliber carbine (straight walled pistol calibers only please) or even a .22LR rifle. Check out the match rules for more details, or post your questions here.

A few of you are already following us on Twitter (@RioSalado3Gun). Sign up to stay informed of all the latest match news. Alternatively, send me your email address by IM and I can have you added to our email list.

Coming to your first match can be daunting, but rest assured you are completely welcome no matter your skill level or equipment - just take it easy and concentrate on being safe. If you have any questions, post them here. Anyone who wants me to walk them through their first match, stage by stage, shoot me an IM and I will be more than happy to do so.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

UPDATE: The stages are designed for Saturday's 3-Gun match. This month's match is SHOTGUN OPTIONAL. There are 3 rifle-only stages and one shotgun OR pistol stage. If you want to try 3-Gun but don't have a shotgun, this is a rare opportunity to dip your toes in the water using only your rifle and pistol. Dust off that AR15 and Glock, and give it a shot. :devil:

Edited by StealthyBlagga