Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rough machined powder funnel

I recently got set up to load 40 S&W on my 550, got it all set up and went to loading using virgin Starline brass. I was having a really bad hitch when I went to raise the handle, it was FAR more difficult than when I run 9mm. I got to looking and the powder funnel had machine marks on the lower straight portion, looked like the barrel of a Mosin it was so rough. I looked at my 9mm funnel and I could see myself in it it was so smooth. I took and used 320 grit paper, and then a dremel to polish it to a shine. This fixed the problem, but I was wondering if this was a common thing, or if I was the lucky 1/1000

NGaHB

There is an ebay guy.. G&S Custom?

He is making custom funnels. I purchased one of his shell-plates and really like it.

Talked to the guy, and he said yeah... a bigger and smoother funnel to slick the drop and reduce bridging.

A guy could hone one with a drill and a piece of sandpaper to improve it.

There is an ebay guy.. G&S Custom?

He is making custom funnels. I purchased one of his shell-plates and really like it.

Talked to the guy, and he said yeah... a bigger and smoother funnel to slick the drop and reduce bridging.

A guy could hone one with a drill and a piece of sandpaper to improve it.

$T2eC16h,!ykE9s7tyfbGBRg8k1(9hw~~60_57.J

Are these the funnels you mean?

They don't look very polished to me... Is there another advantage to these funnels? Are they shaped differently? Couldn't find out much information about them other than the picture...

Hello: Here is a little trick for loading 40 S&W. Use the 9mm funnel and it will load alot smoother. I have chucked the funnels in a lathe and polished them. Some that I have done are chromed and others were not. The SL900 funnels are the worst and they are hardened so they can't be fixed easily unless you hone them. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric