Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I installed a set of Dawson Precision Sights on my 34 today. Fibre optic front sight thinking I should see it well. Well i could not focus very well on the sights.. I put my Reading glasses on and at Arms Link the red fibre glowed brilliantly. So the question is my far vision is good for a 57 year old guy but I do wear readers, is it prudent to have a set of glasses with the right eye lens like my readers and standard lens in the left. I am right eye dominant. Has anyone tried this? thanks

I feel your pain. I am 54 but I elected to start shooting Open to compensate for not being able to see the sights.

This has been discussed many times here. Do a search and you should find a wealth on info on various solutions to the problem.

There are many options. I use a type of bifocal with a reading segment on the top of the lens for the dominant eye. It is set for the distance to the sight at arms length. Best shooting setup I ever made. Ask your eye doctor. It's called a double d bifocal. YMMV

Edited by Youngeyes

It works for some people - probably the majority who try it - but, some people can't adapt and have headaches and various other problems.

Try to do it as inexpensively as possible until you find whether or not it works for you. Then, if it does, get good glasses that will also be good from a safety standpoint.

So I installed a set of Dawson Precision Sights on my 34 today. Fibre optic front sight thinking I should see it well. Well i could not focus very well on the sights.. I put my Reading glasses on and at Arms Link the red fibre glowed brilliantly. So the question is my far vision is good for a 57 year old guy but I do wear readers, is it prudent to have a set of glasses with the right eye lens like my readers and standard lens in the left. I am right eye dominant. Has anyone tried this? thanks

Yes, most of us dinosaurs have either tried that or use it regularly for iron sights. I also use a Meritt sighter (peep hole) aid that helps too.

Yes, most of us dinosaurs have either tried that or use it regularly for iron sights. I also use a Meritt sighter (peep hole) aid that helps too.

I've been using the stick on reader lenses over my right eye. It's similar to how some people have their vision set up for mono-vision (one eye for distance the other for reading). This was the cheapest set-up and it has worked for me but I don't shoot production enough to really get use to it. The stick on lens allows you to position it anywhere on my shooting glasses so I put it at the top of the lens area. It does throw off my depth perception as I now have only mono vision.

The lowest power I could find was 1.50 and if there was a 1.00 I would use that.

Next I'll be trying some lower powered contacts in my right eye, my eye doc said that would be okay.

There are many options. I use a type of bifocal with a reading segment on the top of the lens for the dominant eye. It is set for the distance to the sight at arms length. Best shooting setup I ever made. Ask your eye doctor. It's called a double d bifocal. YMMV

3 years ago, my doctor made the exact same thing for me. I struggled through 6 months, with those glasses. Then, I turned my limited gun into an open gun. Now I enjoy shooting again.

After 40 years of coke bottle glasses I got the lasik procedure done with dominant right eye set for distance.

My eye doctor made up some shooting glasses with a tiny correction for the right eye that focuses on the front sight and it works great for me (61 years).

Find an optometrtist that will let you bring in a pistol (no barrel if nervous) and go in the back (outdoors) to adjust the strength. Indoor lighting is never good enough.

I've been using the two lens method for a couple years. The left lens is my standard distance prescription, the right (dominant) lens is set to focus on front sight. Takes a few minutes to adjust when I put the glasses on but I can get around the range and see in the distance. I can see the sights pretty well with no prescription but find walking around with the distance in a blur to be very disconcerting. I find I still have to close left eye when shooting out past 7-10 yards. I tried for a long time to force both eyes open but wasted too much time blinking and finding sights. Gave up and went with what works. Old and slow, but still avoiding shooting Open. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I just got healed up from having cataract surgery on both eyes. I have been wearing glasses since about 1965 and my eyes have gotten progressively worse. After the surgery my distance vision is a little better than 20/20. For reading I use 2.25 over the counter readers. My eye doctor fitted me with a pair of bifocals that are at the top of the lens with no power through the center. I can see at a distance and to focus on the front sight all I have to do is roll my head forward slightly. with my old progressive lensesm I had to roll my head to the rear and it was still kind of fuzzy.

I had a pair made with 1.0 power for the right eye and none for the left eye, with good results. After wearing them a few minutes, your brain adjusts and makes everything work.

I did the same at the suggestion of Decot's optometrist. Although I normally use +2.50 for reading, the +1.00 in my dominant right eye allows me to see the fiber optic sight clearly and also allows me to see the target at distance.