Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger return spring

blueorb

My TRS broke today about halfway through the 3rd stage ( 6 stage match). I had a spare one in my bag but was still unable to replace due to the fact that mt grip screws are star bit and, of course, I don't have a star bit in my bag. I tried doing with out taking the trigger assembly out but couldn't do it to save my life.

Anyway, I am now ordering a few more replacements and noticed that there are two options for the TRS:

1) CZ 75/85/SP01 Trigger Return Spring (TRS) NEW and 2) CZ 75/85/SP01 Trigger Return Spring FACTORY.

What is the difference in these two springs?

Also, I only have about 5000 (maybe) rounds through my 75. Is this normal for a TRS to break already? Seems awfully premature to me. Kind of nerve racking if I have to start worrying about a TRS breaking that often.

Edited by blueorb

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the answer to your question, however, I have some advice:

1. cz's are cheap. buy a backup gun. Maybe a cz85 combat. Sight it in, and use it when you have a problem like a TRS breakage that is not easy to fix outside with limited tools.

2. get the CGW TRS *and* the easy CGW trigger pin that you don't need a freaking sledgehammer to remove.

3. don't ever use grip screws that require a tool that you don't have with you at every single match.

1. cz's are cheap. buy a backup gun. Maybe a cz85 combat. Sight it in, and use it when you have a problem like a TRS breakage that is not easy to fix outside with limited tools.

2. get the CGW TRS *and* the easy CGW trigger pin that you don't need a freaking sledgehammer to remove.

3. don't ever use grip screws that require a tool that you don't have with you at every single match.

+1 on all this. The rear sight elevation screw on my SP01 Shadow broke during a match a few months ago. Walked back to my car, swapped it out for my 75B Stainless, and finished the match. Since then I've gotten a second SP01 Shadow :)

Thank you for the advice.

1). It was mentioned to me today by another shooter that I need a back up gun. I am currently perusing boards seeing what I can find.

2) I do already have the CGW trigger pin (floating, I think it is called?) so I am good there. I just ordered 3 of the CGW TRS'. At 3 bucks a pop you can't have too many, right?

3) good point. My gun is a shadow line 75 and it came with the star bit screws. I never thought to change them. Lesson learned the hard way.

Type (1) TRS spring is made to CZC's spec, whereas Type (2) is CZ-factory. According to CZC, Type (1) is stronger and "should" last longer.

Personally, I've broken them all, including Cajun's.

My TRS broke today about halfway through the 3rd stage ( 6 stage match). I had a spare one in my bag but was still unable to replace due to the fact that mt grip screws are star bit and, of course, I don't have a star bit in my bag. I tried doing with out taking the trigger assembly out but couldn't do it to save my life.
Anyway, I am now ordering a few more replacements and noticed that there are two options for the TRS:
1) CZ 75/85/SP01 Trigger Return Spring (TRS) NEW and 2) CZ 75/85/SP01 Trigger Return Spring FACTORY.

Also, I only have about 5000 (maybe) rounds through my 75. Is this normal for a TRS to break already? Seems awfully premature to me. Kind of nerve racking if I have to start worrying about a TRS breaking that often.

Edited by justaute

Type (1) TRS spring is made to CZC's spec, whereas Type (2) is CZ-factory. According to CZC, Type (1) is stronger and "should" last longer.

Hmmm, ok, so I guess the next question is what does that mean? Are CZC's specs more stringent or something? The one that broke is factory. The replacement is from CZC.

Purportedly better grade of steel, if I remember correctly. I just took their word face-value.

Hmmm, ok, so I guess the next question is what does that mean? Are CZC's specs more stringent or something? The one that broke is factory. The replacement is from CZC.

Doesn't the Cajun trigger pin come with the slave pin for installation? I'm waiting for mine to show up but I guess I got lucky with the original style pin, I re-assembled it and it went together fine. I would never leave it this way because the flare is all jacked up on one side, but I was honestly a little hesitant to pull it because it looks terribly hard to get together without that slave pin.

After doing it once without the slave pin, man forget that noise, Cajun part with the slave pin sounds like it will be way better!

What is average round count on the factory trigger return spring before breakage? Would replacement at every 5K be overkill?

Doesn't the Cajun trigger pin come with the slave pin for installation? I'm waiting for mine to show up but I guess I got lucky with the original style pin, I re-assembled it and it went together fine. I would never leave it this way because the flare is all jacked up on one side, but I was honestly a little hesitant to pull it because it looks terribly hard to get together without that slave pin.

After doing it once without the slave pin, man forget that noise, Cajun part with the slave pin sounds like it will be way better!

What is average round count on the factory trigger return spring before breakage? Would replacement at every 5K be overkill?

My TRS finally broke after 20,000+ rounds, luckily it was during dry fire.

I have a CGW trigger pin and mine did not come with a slave pin. And yes, without a slave pin it is a giant pain in the butt. I used the spray can nozzle trick that people on this forum talk about. Makes it a little easier.

Based on my experience from today, I do not think every 5000 rds is overkill. But, it was a factory piece and not CZC's. See if that makes a difference.

Ahhh a homemade slave pin would have come in handy. I will remember that trick for sure. CGW site says the pin comes with a slave pin. A few days and I'll know whether it does or not, but with or without it's got to be better than that lousy factory pin.

Ahhh a homemade slave pin would have come in handy. I will remember that trick for sure. CGW site says the pin comes with a slave pin. A few days and I'll know whether it does or not, but with or without it's got to be better than that lousy factory pin.

Just buy a few 'N 9' pins, they are cheap and can be used for slave pin.

That's actually what I did eerw. Wasn't too bad, a pin that wasn't so hard to push in would have been a little easier. I've got a reduced trigger spring coming along with the floating pin, I'm really curious to feel the change in DA compared to the factory spring.

Third this method. I use a pair of hemostat and it takes me about 30 seconds to insert a new spring and re-insert the pin.

Just use a set if needle nose pliers and push. Find it easier than fumbling with a slave pin.

I also find this the way to go.

How can you tell if you have the slave or "easy-to-remove" trigger pin? I bought my Shadow through Automatic Accuracy.

Can someone provide a link to the better trigger return springs? and the improved trigger pins...

Edited by RaylanGivens

Raylan if you got it from AA it has the regular staked pin. The CGW pin is not strictly legal for USPSA Production since it's an external modification. I've heard rumor the rules may be easing on this.

That rule has changed

TRS are a small thin wired spring. Some people go tweeting on them and they break. Some don't and they break. I've got god only knows how many trigger pulls on my practice gun spring. I still have one in the parts box that goes with me to matches but I doubt I'll be able to change it during the match I'll just go to the other gun.