Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 - Primers Don't Push All The Way Out?

RaylanGivens

try going back to the Dillon die that came with your 1050. I have loaded 14,000 rounds in 2013 with my 1050 & not 1 stuck primer.

Good idea... I don't remember having this trouble with the Dillon die.

The standard Lee sizing die sizes cases a bit tighter than the Dillon sizing die.

Actually if you search the forums you will find the problem is generally worse with Dillon dies.

I thinned down the diameter of the Lee decapping pin and put a small bevel on the tip... similar to the pin in Wide45's post on the first page. After that I sanded the pin with 400 and finally 600 grit sandpaper. After that I poloshed the tip with Flitz polish until it looked like chrome.

I reinstalled the pin but didn't extend it as far as I had before. The pin extends about 1/4" below thw mouth of the sizing die.

Loaded 400 rounds without a single malfunction!

Not to say that it will never happen again, but now I understand what the problem really is and how to fix it. I'll probably continue switching my eyes back to the decapping stage to make sure the primer falls out... That seems like a worthwhile operation to continue.

Thanks for the help!

+1 on the Lee die but you should lube cases makes the whole process easier on the brass, dies, press and the operator.

I agree. I plan to start using lube, probably One Shot... I didn't want to throw case lube into this problem before I was sure what it was and how to fix it. Now that it seems like the problem is solved, I'm planning to start lubing my cases.

I've had the most luck with beveling/polishing the decapping pin and also the RCBS Pow'r punch. I have had problems with the pin punching through the bottom of crimped primers if I made it too sharp.

Here is my fix for primers sticking to the decapping pin. I've been doing this from year 2 of ownership of the 1050 (over 7 years now).

Take a Dillon pin and cut off the pin from the cap - discard pin.

file the cap smooth and square.

Take a Lyman decapping pin and drop it into the pin retainer for the stem, then drop the cap from the Dillon on top of the Lyman pin and assemble the decapping stem.

The Lyman pins are smaller than the Dillons, are cheaper and easier to find.

http://www.lymanprod...tore/page6.html

Also see here.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184766&hl=

Interesting.

Not exactly sure how this works, but I'll look into it... Thanks...

Sorry for the delay, just taken this.

IMG_0421_zps2125b32a.jpg

The barrel is the top from a Dillon decapping made square.

• 4 months later...

I went ahead and gave the pin a slight bevel and polish with a dremel polishing stone. Still sticking primers. Mainly in Federal and Remington brass 45ACP. All other calibers have been fine with no modification.

This is with a Lee Universal Decapping Die.

Do I need to bevel it more? Polish more?

14438764146_f9a981de34_c.jpg

Edited by ams30gts

Some people cut the tip at a 45 degree angle, some people round the point like you did... I have a point similar to yours, but a bit pointier... Haven't had any issues since I sharpened the point...

I also wipe the sizing die and decapping pin with "One Shot" before I start reloading...

I had the same problem with a Lee Universal Depriming die until I put a small bevel on 4 sides at 45 degree angles. No problem since then, only other problem is with nickel .357 Sig cases as they seem to have a smaller diameter flash hole than anything else and the Lee Depriming die seems to have a slightly larger pin diameter.

I had the same problem with a Lee Universal Depriming die until I put a small bevel on 4 sides at 45 degree angles. No problem since then, only other problem is with nickel .357 Sig cases as they seem to have a smaller diameter flash hole than anything else and the Lee Depriming die seems to have a slightly larger pin diameter.

Does yours look like a square or rounded? I made mine rounded.

Does yours look like a square or rounded? I made mine rounded.

Think of it more as a wedge.

I take a file and take the pin down only on one side. It should be asymmetric like the tip of an old ink pen.

post-5006-0-82367700-1403330731_thumb.jp

I filed down 1 side although mine is already rounded pretty good. Just decapped 1K 45ACP and only 2x primers got pulled back in! Finally fixed! Thanks for the help everyone.

14284507999_616f303ac1_b.jpg

Edited by ams30gts

To who ever was chunking the crimped brass -

There is no reason for you to do that. Your 1050 has a swager built in to station 2. It will certainly decap the brass in station 1 and remove the crimp in station 2, making crimped brass fine to use. I have never sorted brass at all. Throw it all in the top and watch bullets fall out the other side ready to go.