Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Invictus Practical dual and quad load carriers

Rob01

The only thing I'm waiting for is a setup that can really be used for either deuces or quads. I'm currently doing load two, and would like the option to move to quads, but all the solutions out there claiming to do both either reduce a quad load of N shells by half (making it a LARGE rig for load two, IMO), or claim you can grab only 2 from quads next to each other.

Anyone know of something really allowing either mode reasonably well?

I don't think you'll see other options that that. Quad works because two stacks of shells pack right next to each other for a single-hand grab. The only way to load two from a quad mount will be to grab one half of a quad (a single pair). That comes down to design—can you easily grab one pair without dislodging its neighbor on the quad caddy? Invictus is as good as any in that regard. I used Taccom before that and, while I really like them for quad loading, it was very hard to grab just two when the situation required.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carbon Arms FSL8 not only allows Twins and Quads, but traditional as well all from the same caddy.

Mark, one thing I noticed when I played with my FSL12 is that traditional loading and dual/quad loading require the shells to be stacked in opposite directions. For example, as a right-hand shooter, if I want to weak-hand dual/quad load, I need the brass on the right, where my thumb is during the grab. For traditional, though, I need the brass on the left, so the shells group in my palm/little fingers correctly. Did I miss something obvious, or do I just have to assume opposite hands (strong quad/weak traditional) if I want to use it for both?

CJW, you are correct. You would have to have the load style in your plan and could not swap over mid-stage using the same hand. But if you use both hands, one caddy can do both.

Edited by MarkCO

The only thing I'm waiting for is a setup that can really be used for either deuces or quads. I'm currently doing load two, and would like the option to move to quads, but all the solutions out there claiming to do both either reduce a quad load of N shells by half (making it a LARGE rig for load two, IMO), or claim you can grab only 2 from quads next to each other.

Space on the belt is a huge factor for me as we have a lot of tactical shotgun matches every year as well as Nordic. The Carbon Arms SSL10 really packs the rounds on the belt and do give the flexibility to load twins, quads or both from the same caddie. I have no issues loading twins or quads with my SSL's fully populated with 10 shells each. I do think spacing out twins allows you to move a little faster and makes it more forgiving to missed hand placement but after training for no spacing I have no issues twin loading. That's the joy of the SSLs though, you can add/remove as many of the individual shell holders as you want so you can run spaced twins, non-spaced twins or quads. Your call.

Edited by mngunguy

The 2.8 works awesome for all types of loading. I just went to the IP stuff from the Carbon Arms units. I like the IP stuff a lot. I can load weak hand, strong hand, or drop deuces from the 2.8. I also use their 12Q and have a 6D that I will be expanding to an 8D.

One of the coolest thing about the IP stuff is it's ability to be customized by the end user. All the hardware is designed with the end user in mind. The Quad load setups and the Dual load setups can be formed around your waist by simply bending the backbone. Very trick and they look cool as hell.

I used the Carbon Arms sslp8 for two seasons before switching to the IP stuff this year. Shell retention is solid in both products, but I am faster with the IP caddies. The 2.8 is an awesome product.

I'd like to echo Austinwolv's and urigagold's comments. I ordered and just tried out the 2.8 carrier. IMO Invictus Practical has set the Gold Standard for this type of carrier. I've had the CA SSL carriers and Twins carrier that I didn't care for and sold quickly. I've been using the AP Customs L2-6 Carriers for the last year and liked them but the shell retention is a little weak.

Invictus set a high standard. My order shipped the next day, and as Austin said the workmanship and hardware are excellent. The carriers can be mounted at just about any angle the user desires. Everything that I needed came with my order, all the screws, attachments and instructions were in the box.

I plan to order a couple more 2.8's and possibly a 8D and 6D once I can convince the wife that these are awesome!

I have played with the 8Q and 2Q a little. 10 practice loads roughly an a few live fire runs on the range. The backing plate on these things are very cool. I didn't mess with them a bunch yet but it appears as though the possibilities are endless in regards to angles offsets heights and orientation and no spinning. I really like how they inset the clips into each other to get the shells closer together. The design puts them a lot closer together than the AP or CA. Almost as close as the Taccom The clips are way more secure than AP, slightly more than Taccom and about the same as CA. With security means the shells don't come out as easy. So there's a little give and take there. So at this point of limited use I think the AP and Taccom still win the ease of removal race. Fit and finish is great on the IP stuff. It's on par with the AP just lacking their cool laser etched logos. The CA still have the best finish as they are injection molded plastic vs laser cut or milled Delrin like IP or taccom. You will benefit from breaking all of the edges on the plastic with sandpaper or Dremel just like I did with my first milled CA Pinwheels and all of the taccom stuff. I really like the options offered for setup with the 12's, 8's, 6, 4, Etc. So far I think this new company is in the right track and will be pushing the others to keep their thinking caps on. Hopefully I'll get a video put together next week showing off these Caddy's and comparing them to the rest of them.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Many of the same points that Steve mentioned above were highlighted in my part1 initial thoughts here.

:)

In regards to speed vs. retention, a general personal view is that I'd rather have all the shells be there when running around a stage versus gaining 0.003s getting them out of the carriers. :cheers:

With less than 15 practice tries, I can beat 4.5s loading 12 out of these easily and repeatably standing in the garage, so I'm good with that. Tried 4.0s and couldn't get there. 4.2s was mostly miss with an occasional hit.

Edited by AustinWolv

I used my IP's in an all shotgun match yesterday ... 6 hard charging stages & not one issue with these caddies... I even "slid" into a low port position & not one issue dropping shells. Word is spreading fast about this new company, & Im expecting its just a matter of time before the IP's are THE standard to judge against. I know of 2 top pros who are running w IP for 2014, I'd say there will be more soon.

Space on the belt is a huge factor for me as we have a lot of tactical shotgun matches every year as well as Nordic. The Carbon Arms SSL10 really packs the rounds on the belt and do give the flexibility to load twins, quads or both from the same caddie. I have no issues loading twins or quads with my SSL's fully populated with 10 shells each. I do think spacing out twins allows you to move a little faster and makes it more forgiving to missed hand placement but after training for no spacing I have no issues twin loading. That's the joy of the SSLs though, you can add/remove as many of the individual shell holders as you want so you can run spaced twins, non-spaced twins or quads. Your call.

I'll have to check these out. I finally saw some IP gear at a match today I'm just back from...looks nice, but not so sure I could easily grab 'just two' out of them, but they look well made, and great for quads.

I'm a big guy so I have tons of real estate to pack shells on. With that being said I'm a little rough on gear, more so than most. The IP caddies have been big boy prone tested many times without a single failure. The straight 8 IMHO is the only shell caddy on the market that stacks the shells super close together but, still allows for load two or quads from multiple positions. When you really get to the meat of versatile shell caddies with endless amounts of adjustability IP has it. They may not be as easy a pull in regards to shell tension as the AP, CA or Taccom but they have them all beat in retention and adjustability. This is a game played while on the move, not standing still in front of a camera trying to break the sound barrier loading shells, adjustability and retention is where its at !! IPFTW !!

Invictus caddy looks awesome! but to late for that I just received my AP customs quad loads.. what do you think with AP products guys?

Thanks

The AP Customs carriers are very good products. Fit and finish are excellent. Their only downside is that the shell retention is lower than the other carriers. Usually not a problem, but a potential one.

You may also want to read some of the above comments comparing IP and AP Customs as well as this review posted last year - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=172835&hl=%22ap+customs%22+review

I picked up a 2.8 after seeing them in person this weekend. Not sure it'll work for load two or not, but had a good discussion with the owner, and in the worst case, I may pick up one of their load 2 units, which looks to be adjustable enough to be good for load 2 today, but can be potentially repositioned (closer together) for quad loads down the line.

Fingers crossed! :)

I am running the 2.8 for load 2's. The way the shells are stacked, you can load two with ease. It's a slick setup, doesn't take much room and has a great balance of retention, ease of use, and adjust-ability.

I still fumble too much doing quadload's, but I'll get it eventually and the 2.8 will still be a good choice.

I'll be happy to let anyone try mine out at the regional this weekend. I'll be around the One Team One Fight side match when I'm not shooting, come on by.

Kevin is really easy to talk to and answers his emails quickly. He'll also be at the 3GN Regional this weekend with product to demo.

I will be down at SE Regional match in squad 10 if anyone wants to see my carriers. I am still debating on using my 12Q as a load two and just load it with 6. Still getting the hang of quads and don't want to mess up a good run with a fumble. I may try the quads under match stress and see what happens though.

YEP ! I had an hour long conversation w Kevin, super nice guy who wants to turn out a great product & make his customers happy at all costs. I will be on Stage 5 this weekend & will be running the 2.8 & 12Q so feel free to holler at me if ya wanna try em !

I've been loading quads off Taccom qualoads, which are good kit, for a while. yesterday ran quad loads off straight eights from IP. Immediately ordered another. No issues disturbing the 2nd grab shells on the first grab. lighter, more compact, and no need to roll the shells out from the top end. just grab and go. the row where the delrin bites the hull instead of the brass needs a little tightening with heat but thats it. extremely well made and Kevin seems to be truly customer oriented.

I ran my Q8's for the first time in a match this weekend. Here I am shooting 3GN Classifier 04-13 Flying By-1. I wanted to see if I could load 4 and shoot all shotgun faster than running 9 rounds of shotgun ditching it and finishing the 5 poppers with pistol. Fastest time on the 3GN classifier right now is 6.51. I ran it in 6.42 but I had to take a procedural for not shooting one popper with pistol. I am so impressed with these that I dropped about $650 ordering one of everything they make so I could figure out the best configuration for quads and deuces.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I dropped about $650

LOL, look at you, balla.

After the initial order, I placed another order for another 2.8, a straight8, and a 2Q. That puts 32 on the belt easily, and I can fit the 2Q somewhere (just haven't yet) for 36. Pretty rare that I need that many, but easy enough to do so! I figure RM3G World Shoot will probably blow that up, lol. :)

For a short stage with just one reload, the 2Q will work nicely, but it is a little comical how compact and clean it is after setting up everything else.

Another kudos to Kevin as he got that 2nd order out the door really fast also.

Kevin hooked me up with a new product also that I'll be checking out soon and posting some initial thoughts.

Edited by AustinWolv