Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Welded lifter possible problem

GreenDragon64

Yesterday a friend and I welded the stock lifter in my VersaMax. This gun is brand new and hasn't been shot, but I have hand cycled about 50 cartridges through it prior to welding the lifter. The weld job filled in the fork but does not extend past the stock lifter. I noticed a paper thin shaving at the 11 to 1 o'clock position of the cycled shells after putting the welded lifter back.

My concern is that if I add more length to the lifter, shells would get even more cut up and possibly not cycle. Are there any fixes to this? Is this a valid concern or something unwarranted?

When I welded up my lifter, I didn't bend anything. I ground and polished a radius on the topside of the end of the lifter where is contacts the shell. Mine is ground pretty thin that that area. Bending accomplishes the same thing. Note how the new VM 3-gun lifter is bent at the end.

Also, don't forget to smooth out and polish the top side of the lifter. Your finger doesn't contact there, but the shell does.

Thanks folks. Ryan, it only took us about 2 hours to hand file both sides of the lifter smooth on both sides, it is a little more tedious work than a loading port. There are a few bubbles and low spots that will be taken care of when we add on to the length of the lifter.

The first lifter I had welded we could just not make work. We think in the end it might have got twisted slightly but not that we can see much. I went back to a standard lifter which I could load with pretty well but not quite as fast.

Last week we tried again and the result is below. We didn't bend it. Tested yesterday and 250 rounds worked fine.

20140131_150120_zps5de661a5.jpg

Due to Remington being the worst company to deal with in Europe and having no spares, we actually had to use a Benelli Super Eagle lifter but they appear identical.

Sometimes they work straight away, sometimes after bending and occasionally not at all.

The stock SBE is the same as the stock VM Synthetic. I had a friend weld in the v shape and extend it about 3mm. I then polished it myself.

If you cut down the body on the VM you can pretty much get away without welding if you use weak hand load 4.

I already have the stock lifter I'm working on ordering the new 3 gun edition lifter that is filled and extended already from the factory.

It is not filled and extended, it is a whole new lifter, folded metal.

I too am having problems with mine either from the lifter of the cut mag tube spring (factory) I got a Nordic spring coming but the weather we've had in Alabama has screwed up shipping times, if it don't work I'm gonna try and get the new one from Remington or the TTI one that fits both the M2 and VMax

I too am having problems with mine either from the lifter of the cut mag tube spring (factory) I got a Nordic spring coming but the weather we've had in Alabama has screwed up shipping times, if it don't work I'm gonna try and get the new one from Remington or the TTI one that fits both the M2 and VMax

The TTI for the M2 does not really fit the VM. The M2 is a 3" port, the VM a 3.5" port. It is too short and does not feed well.

I kind of suspected that you would have problems after Scottie cut your stock VM mag spring. A longer spring will likely fix your issue. What was it doing?

I kind of suspected that you would have problems after Scottie cut your stock VM mag spring. A longer spring will likely fix your issue. What was it doing?

Yea hopefully it will Ryan trying to get this worked out my shotgun ran real good right after everything was done then I got to the Noveske ATL 3Gun Challenge it's completely went down jamming constantly made for a very bad match for me...we stretched it out before the local match at crooked oak and it ran good one stage the. Started to jam some later through the day

Edited by BrocDowns