Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

leupold prismatic mount issues

robbiec

Oh yes....they will come loose.

I hear Larue makes a good mount. I used 620 loctite between each of the 'building' blocks and 242 for the screw. Has not come loose or shifted at all in the year since installation.

Tim

The mount (at the bottom of the stack) seems to be only part of the Prismatic problem. What about the spacers, especially combinations of them? There still seems to be a cobbled together feel about all of this. I was never confident in my Prismatic mount because of the base and the stacked riser blocks. I take it that nobody is aware of a one piece mount that does it all for the Prismatic? That's a shame because it seemed like very good glass and reticle, to me.

The point of impact on mine would shift 20 to 30 inches at 100 yards. I was advised the fix was to epoxy glue the whole thing together forever.

Not wanting to do that, I took off the illumination and put the mount in a pair of narrow Valdada 30mm steel rings I had laying around. That held up great, but I wanted the illumination back.

I left the front ring on and used the regular Leupold mount and put the illumination unit back on. The problem was the Valdada ring on the front was .008 higher than the Leupy mount. Well it just so happens that the aluminum 1 pint can of Coors Light is .008 thick. Thicker by .003 than the regular cans. Made a couple of shims for the Leupy mount to raise it up, mounted it, and this setup has held on a .308 AR for over a year.

Looks kind of goofy, and a professional gunsmith would frown, but it's solid and it's illuminated.

I had the factory Leupold mount on my prismatic and my POI would change right or left 6 to 8 inches everytime I shot the thing. I was so frustrated and was about to get rid of the optic and then finally asked someone what they had done to get their prismatc to hold zero. I was told to get the Laure mount for the pristmatic. I finally broke down and order the Larue mount and it has been POA/POI ever since. Now I love the optic.

A new base, LaRue, ADM or what ever, is not the solution because the base attaching to the gun is not the problem.

The problem with the Prismatic is how the spacer locks between the mount and scope body. Rather than being tapered like an ACOG mount, or the CQ/T mount, the lugs on the Prismatic spacer are square shouldered and will not stay aligned when put together between the base and scope. I demonstrated this to someone by putting their Prismatic on their gun and giving the scope a good twist to the left, then the reticle was aligned to the left edge of the rail at the front of the gun. A good twist on the scope to the right brought the alignment all of the way to the right side of the rail. It doesn't matter how hard you tighten the screws, you cannot adjust out the poor fit of the spacer between the scope and base.

I have tried to correct this in two ways. The first attempt was to take the spacer and add marine epoxy to the sides of the lugs and then put the mount together. The epoxy fills the gaps and when dry makes for a solid non-moving assembly. On the second scope I took the spacer and used a hammer and punch to swage the sides of the lugs so that they would just not fit in their respective slots, then screwed the mount together and used the leverage of the screws being tightened to pull the whole thing together.

I like the second method better but one must be careful to not swage too much martial and risk stripping the screw hole in the scope by putting to much pressure on them.

Is the Prismatic worth all the mounting hassle? I mean, if you already have the Pris, obviously you have to make it work. But as someone who is shopping optics, I'm wondering if I should even consider the Prismatic still? Is it only a great optic BECAUSE you can still run the Tac Irons division with it? What if that weren't the case? What if it put you in the same division as somone with a 1-6x? Just trying to gauge if the Pris should be on my short list or not...

Thanks,

Mike

If you want to shoot non magnified then the Prismatic is a good option, if you want to shoot magnified, it is still an option, but not a very good one. You could choose to shoot it against a 1-6 but that discussion is not really that pertinent to the mounting discussion that we have going on here. The pris offers some very big advantages over irons or other non magnified optics for some shooters and we are discussing the mounting solutions to address the largest weakness.

I have had a couple of different height Seekins rings milled to mount a prismatic perfectly, and am working on ways to now illuminate the optic as well. I am confident that I will be shooting an illuminated Prismatic with a bombproof mount this season. I do not think that there is enough demand to make fabrication of the mount commercially viable for anyone, but I will be more than happy to share whatever I come up with.

Any reason the stock mount and spacers couldn't be welded together? Are they steel or alumn? If you welded the mount, could you still remove the Prismatic from the mount (like if you wanted to mount it on a shotgun with a lower height for example)?